Washington University of St. Louis Facilities Management in St. Louis, Missouri
This position is full-time and works approximately 40 hours per week.
Department Name/Job Location
This position is in the Department of Facilities Management. This position is for the Medical School Campus.
Position is responsible for managing and directing the financial affairs of all financial and system support activities within the Department, including preparation of the annual budget, auxiliary, revenue planning, and supporting activities. This position will provide a supporting role in relation to contracting and financial agreements including construction, purchasing, leasing and administration. All activities will be conducted in concert with University policies and procedures. Coordinates with all operational areas to ensure and provide business support, process automation and financial planning in support of their business operations and related service strategies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares, creates and coordinates the department’s operational and auxiliary budget and revenue planning which will include all staff salary planning. Prepares monthly and quarterly financial reports, impact statements, forecasts, and budgets for management; communicates with management team about financial information on a regular basis. Makes recommendations related to performance improvement for efficiencies as applicable to the business operations.
- Serves as a member OFMD Senior Leadership team and is a member of the departments administrative and planning team, and represents the AVC/AD of OFMD as needed at University level Technology and/or Business Meetings.
- Performs financial and related business analysis on a variety of projects as requested by Assistant Dean for Operations and Facilities or by Associate Vice Chancellor Administration and Finance. Responsible for overseeing (planning, coordinating, and implementing) all financial operations of the Department, including approval of HRMW (payroll and personnel) and FIS (purchasing, receipt vouchers, JRs, travel, assets, space) system transactions; attends University meetings associated with financial and administrative functions.
- Coordinates with the Office of Budgeting and Finance and Office of Program and Finance Planning in analyzing financial areas related to the Department.
- Provides expertise and guidance to the Assistant Dean for Facilities Management in ensuring compliance with operating budget, salary guidelines, University policies and procedures and Department policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the annual department merit ensuring all areas of operations implement merit following University policies and procedures. Reviews overall merit strategy to ensure equity across all lines of operations.
- Manages cost/process improvement process for Department.
- Compiles annual Operating and Maintenance Expense Report for use by Assistant Dean for Facilities, Assistant Dean for Program and Finance Planning, Office of Budgeting and Finance, Sponsored Projects Accounting and other departments.
- Supports standard practices and procedures for all areas of business administration. Works closely with Washington University IT and WUSM Finance Department to collectively supports a comprehensive, effective information system for administering the requirements of the department.
- As directed assists with the negotiation of contracts. Assists with annual reviews of contracts to ascertain opportunities, which may include purchasing, construction, or lease contacts.
- Evaluates fiscal year forecasts strategically on an ongoing basis, to assist in informed purchasing and investment decisions and initiatives for the department.
- Hires, trains and supervises, as well as establishes direction, oversees and manages business operations for the Department.
- Reviews and approves regular operating budget transactions over $10,000 and capital asset (plant fund) transactions over $25,000. Review and approve all budget adjustments made by Department.
- Participates as active member of Capital Planning Committee of the School of Medicine.
- Reviews and develops rate structures for various “charge-back” services.
- Represents the Department on committees within the School of Medicine and the University, e.g., Information Systems Committee, Procurement Cycle Process Mapping Committee, Central Administration Home Page Committee.
- Works collaboratively with the Senior Leadership Team to ensure Program systems are in place to support excellence in education, research and clinical activities; develops relationships with University associates for process improvements and assurance that the Program is in compliance with financial and administrative policies.
- May facilitate financial education sessions, participate on committees, serve as facilitator of key town hall meetings for the department and support other campus wide activities as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. At least 7 years’ experience in a financial, accounting, budgeting, auditing, or planning function with minimum of 5 years supervising three or more personnel.
- 10 or more years of experience.
- Master’s degree and CPA/CMA.
- Experience in business operations within Facilities or Operations.
- Experience with University Administrative Systems, and supporting operations systems including ServiceNow, PMWeb, Archibus, OSIS, Cardinal and Lenel.
- Demonstrates understanding of generally accepted account principles, not-for-profit entities and particularly institutions of higher learning.
- Ability to analyze and resolve highly difficult problems, to integrate information from multiple sources, to utilize creative thinking and to exercise considerable judgment and resourcefulness.
- Possess strong interpersonal, communication, organization, management and supervisory skills.
- Diplomacy and confidentiality due to highly sensitive information utilized or accessed.
- Experience in an automated/integrated data processing environment, computer and network literate.
The salary is commensurate with experience.
Retirement Savings Plan
22 vacation days
8 Paid Holidays
Tuition benefits for employee, spouse and dependent children
Free Metro Link/ Bus pass
Free Life Insurance
Health, Dental, Vision
Health Savings Accounts (HSA)
Long Term Disability Insurance
Flex Spending Plan
Med School HR website (medschoolhr.wustl.edu)
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Title: Director, Business Operations - Facilities Management - 38939
Job ID: 38939
Location: Medical School
Full/Part Time: Full-Time