Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Licensed Practical Nurse in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Throughout the duration of this vacancy announcement, applications that are received will be referred to the selecting official on a bi-weekly basis. This is an EXTERNAL announcement. Current permanent Sioux Falls VAHCS employees, current permanent VA employees from other facilities, and current permanent employees from other Federal Agencies should apply under the INTERNAL announcement CBAS-10114559-18-EBE, unless applying by using Veterans Preference. All applicants applying under this external announcement will be subject to Veterans Preference. OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans? At the Sioux Falls VA Health Care System (SFVAHCS), we strive to hire only the best! Working with and for America's Veterans is a privilege, and we pride ourselves on the quality of care we provide. In return for your commitment to quality health care for our nation's Veterans, VA offers an incomparable benefits package. Located in southeast South Dakota, Sioux Falls is a family-oriented community with no state income tax. The SFVAHCS is a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care service, with state-of-the-art technology as well as education and research. Comprehensive health care is provided through primary care, tertiary care, and long-term care in the areas of medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, oncology, dentistry, geriatrics, and transitional care. The SFVAHCS is part of VA Midwest Healthcare System (VISN 23), which includes facilities in Minnesota, North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Every job at the VA impacts the Veterans that we serve. You can be part of that team, helping to make sure that our Veterans receive the top-quality care they deserve.
Learn more about this agency
The Sioux Falls VA Health Care System is currently recruiting for one Full-time, Permanent, Licensed Practical Nurse. These positions will be located in the Extended Care & Rehabilitation (EC&R;) Service Line. As a Licensed Practical Nurse, you are responsible for the following duties to include, but not limited to:
- Perform a variety of nursing care activities that include bathing, feeding, oral care and related personal hygiene duties.
- Assist with range of motion, ambulating, lifting, positioning, and self-help activities.
- Observe report and record obvious and less obvious changes in the patient's condition.
- Maintain Certification in CPR.
- Clean and maintain patient's bedside units and ward work areas.
- Accompany patients off station as requested, assisting with recreational and socialization activities.
- Practice safe work habits by utilizing proper body mechanics in patient lifting, equipment handling and patient care related activities as well as practice universal precautions and follow blood borne pathogen/infectious material standards. The physical demands of the position include extensive periods of standing and walking and working with patients requires regular and recurring bending, lifting, stooping, stretching, and similar activities.
- The duties are performed in a hospital/extended care environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to provide a full range of practical nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavioral problems.
- Demonstrate ability to interact in an appropriate manner with patients, family members, professional and other supportive personnel involved in the delivery of patient care.
- Adhere to principles of infection control, safety and universal precautions.
- Recognize and appropriately respond to breakage/malfunction or loss of equipment, safety hazards, and supply deficiencies, promptly reporting to appropriate personnel for corrective action.
- Prepare and administer prescribed medications and perform treatments according to established policies/procedures. NOTE: Assignment to other areas of the service line, medical center, or other CBOC's may be required. The LPN reports to the CLC Nurse Manager and works in collaboration with his/her assigned team, however, assignments may be made to other areas for purposes of cross coverage.
Work Schedule:The tour of duty for this position is typically NIGHTS, rotating weekends and holidays are required. Flexibility in tours and days of the week are required. Additional information regarding the tour of duty for this position will be discussed during the interview process. Functional Statement Title/#:Licensed Practical Nurse
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- #### Job family (Series)
0620 Practical Nurse
- Licensed Practical And Licensed Vocational Nurses
- Licensed Practical Nurses
- Licenses Vocational Nurses
Nurses, Licensed Practical
Conditions of Employment
- Must pass Pre-employment examination.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken Englsh.
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and-or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/159.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:The work requires some standing, walking, bending, lifting, and carrying of light items. The work requires agility and dexterity and may require heavy lifting of equipment or patients. In many situations, the duration of the activity (such as most of a workday) contributes to the arduous nature of the job. Duties require extensive periods of standing and walking. Working with patients requires regular and recurring bending, lifting, stooping, stretching, and similar activities.
Basic Requirements: * Citizen of the United States. * Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency and/or accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) at the time the program was completed by the applicant. * Applicant must possess and maintain a full, active, current, and unrestricted license as a licensed practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth of the United States or in the District of Columbia. * Must be proficient in spoken and written English. Grade Requirements: GS-3: * None beyond the Basic Requirements. GS-4: Education/Experience Required: * Six months of qualifying experience as an LPN or LVN; OR * Graduation from an approved school and one year of experience that involved nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures; OR * Graduation from an approved school of at least 24 months duration. GS-5: Experience Required: * Completion of at least 1 year of qualifying experience at the GS-4 level or equivalent. GS-6: Experience Required: * Completion of at least 1 year of qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Note:The full performance level of this vacancy is 06. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-03 to GS-06. The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the grade and step at which the candidate will be placed. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
Reference:VA Handbook 5005/3, Part II, Appendix G13 LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD, dated April 10, 2003. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment. This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority. This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Please use the following link for additional information: Mythbuster on Federal Hiring Policies
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Note: The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-6. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-3 to GS-6. The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the grade and step at which the candidate will be placed. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete application package which includes the following REQUIRED material listed below:
- Complete and current professional resume or CV.
- VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations. Available at the VA Forms website: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/searchaction.asp?FormNo=10-2850&tkey;=&Action;=Search.
- Responses to the Occupational Questionnaire. (Listed within the Application Manager program when you click on the "Apply Online" button).
- Please use the checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information. Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the Full Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 06/29/2018 to receive consideration. 1. To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire. 2. Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package. NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
(605) 336-3230 X5985
Royal C Johnson Veterans Memorial Hospital 2501 West 22nd Street Sioux Falls, SD US
Learn more about this agency
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During the review, if your resume and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made. You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status". For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information". Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/488390600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 01/10/2018 to 06/29/2018
Salary: $29,959 to $49,069 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 3 - 6
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent