BlackBerry Corporation Sr. Cloud Site Reliability Engineer (SQL Server) in San Mateo, California
Worker Sub-Type: Regular
* Job Description: *
BlackBerry’s AtHoc is the pioneer and recognized market leader in next-generation emergency communications software for the security and safety market. Fundamental to our mission at BlackBerry’s AtHoc is the development of innovative products used for the critical endeavor of saving lives.
We’re seeking dedicated, bright and highly motivated team players who want to make a difference and share in our accomplishments and passion. We provide a culture that encourages different perspectives and new ways of thinking toward a common, aligned goal and shared vision: to bring innovative solutions to market and advance the safety, security, and protection of people and property around the world.
Join a principled customer-focused team that is transforming an industry and has earned the trust of hundreds of customers and millions of users within the U.S. military, federal government, homeland security agencies, healthcare, fortune 500 companies and higher education institutions. At BlackBerry’s AtHoc, we recognize that the talent and drive of our people is a vital key to our continued success.
- Works on all Microsoft SQL strategy, design, troubleshooting, and operations.
- Responsible for maximizing system uptime and availability, ensuring functional and performance SLAs.
- Responsible for establishing end-to-end monitoring and alerting on all critical aspects of SQL to ensure SLAs and get proactive notifications of possible issues for all systems.
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Creation of playbooks to run when responding to alerts or incidents.
- Initiate and lead scripting and automation to streamline system updates and upgrades.
- Works with cloud operations team to resolve trouble tickets, developing and running scripts, creating SQL jobs, and troubleshooting IIS in a hosted environment.
- Works well independently and requires little or no supervision.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Relevant/related experience of 7-10 years plus BS/BA degree or 5-6 years with MS/MA degree.
- Microsoft Certification SQL 2012 or greater AND equivalent practical knowledge managing at least 200 servers in mirrored or clustered environment; SQL 2016 knowledge preferred.
- Working knowledge of Windows Server 2008-2016.
- Ability to detect and troubleshoot SQL Server related CPU, memory, I/O, disk space and other resource contention.
- Strong knowledge of backups, restores, recovery models, database shrink operations, DBCC commands, Clustering, Database mirroring, Replication.
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Knowledge of SQL scripting and queries.
- Knowledge of SQL Server tools (Profiler, DTA, SSMS, SAC, SSCM, PerfMon, DMVs, system sprocs)
- Documentation skills for processes and procedures (creating KBs, runbooks, topology etc )
- Understanding of Microsoft security concepts and Patching Automation.
- Experience with Application Monitoring (APM) and Performance as it relates to SQL server.
- Excellent troubleshooting and analytics skills.
- Familiar or certified with ITIL.
- Ability to write and troubleshoot SQL Code and design (stored procs, functions, tables, views, triggers, indexes, constraints) a plus.
- Experience in Azure Public Cloud Service a plus.
- MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications a plus.
- US Citizen or Green Card Holder.
Job Family Group Name: Product Development
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40
We are BlackBerry, a global mobile communications leader who revolutionized the industry with its introduction in 1999. Today, BlackBerry’s products and services, from messaging to enterprise mobility, are relied on by millions of individuals every day to securely and efficiently connect them to the content and people that matter most. At BlackBerry our instinct for innovation is relentless, so as we continue to push the boundaries of mobile experiences, we continue to drive the talent, passion and creativity of our employees.
©2016 BlackBerry. All right reserved. BlackBerry® and related trademarks, names, and logos are the property of BlackBerry Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.
It is the policy of BlackBerry to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship, status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
EEO Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled