Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Deputy for Science Areas for Environmental Molecular Sciences in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308196
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Environmental Molecular Sciences
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) and the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL) seek a senior scientist to provide scientific leadership and coordination of EMSL’s science areas in biological and environmental science. EMSL is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science user facility that provides innovative and breakthrough experimental and computational science to address DOE Office of Biological and Environmental Research (BER) programs by providing access to more than 75 state-of-the-art instrumental and computational capabilities. The users propose to work with EMSL in BER-relevant science areas and if successful collaborate with EMSL on their science. EMSL users address some of the most important molecular-to-mesoscale challenges relevant to DOE missions. The successful candidate will quickly learn about the EMSL science areas and the user program and BER’s scientific directions.
• National and international reputation in a science domain relevant to EMSL research.
• Established scientific network at other national laboratories, academia, industry and professional societies. Experience leading teams for research and strategy. .
• Conceives, plans and executes R&D with national/international influence. Successful in obtaining funding from external sponsors and funding teams of scientists to conduct R&D.
• Sought out for peer-reviews, invited speaker, and technically productive with peer-reviewed publications, chair session at national/international meetings.
• Recognized by Lab leadership, sponsors and collaborators to helps et national program directions with impact at Lab level
• Develops a science strategy in concert with the EMSL Chief Scientist to serve BER-aligned biological and environmental research by engaging that research community to determine current and future science challenges and opportunities. Works with EMSL Technology and Computing leads to ensure the science strategy is represented in their strategy and vice versa.
• Leads the development of the annual science area call for user proposals. Defines topical areas for call with input with EMSL leadership and BER program managers. Recruits peer reviewers for science panels.
• Develops and implements an outreach strategy with EMSL leadership to attract current and new users to EMSL. Works with BER program managers to schedule sessions to highlight EMSL research at PI meetings. Organizes sessions to highlight EMSL research at national meetings. Recruits new uses at PI meetings and national meetings. Communicates EMSL S&T capabilities to BER PIs. Helps develop science theme for EMSL Integration User meeting in collaboration with EMSL Leadership, workshops with the scientific community and training of current and potential users.
BS/BA with 9 years of experience; MS/MA with 7 years of experience; PhD with 5 years of experience.
• Ph.D. or advanced degree in a science domain relevant to the EMSL user facility with 10 years of experience. Experience managing large complex projects and with multiple participants.
• Expertise and understanding of the EMSL user facility and application of capability area(s) to biological and environmental science.
• Knowledge of BER science and strategy.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Job Category: Scientists/Scientific Support
Group: Environmntl Molecular Sci Div
Opening Date: 2018-08-07
Closing Date: 2018-08-22