Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Deputy for Computing for Environmental & Molecular Sciences in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308195
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Environmental Molecular Sciences
The Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL) seek a senior computational scientist to provide scientific and technological leadership for EMSL’s computational capabilities and provide a computational vision and strategy for EMSL that aligns with and informs capability investment. EMSL is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science user facility that provides innovative and breakthrough experimental and computational science to address DOE Office of Biological and Environmental Research (BER) programs by providing access to more than 75 state-of-the-art instrumental and computational capabilities. The users propose to work with EMSL in BER-relevant science areas and if successful collaborate with EMSL on their science. EMSL users address some of the most important molecular-to-mesoscale challenges relevant to DOE missions. The successful candidate will quickly learn about the EMSL computational hardware and software, science areas, the user program and BER’s scientific directions.
• National and international reputation in a science domain relevant to EMSL research.
• Established scientific network at other national laboratories, academia, industry and professional societies. Experience leading teams and mentoring staff in research and strategy.
• Conceives, plans and executes R&D with national/international influence. Successful in obtaining funding from external sponsors and funding teams of scientists to conduct R&D.
• Sought out for peer-reviews, invited speaker, and technically productive with peer-reviewed publications, and session chairs at national/international meetings.
• Recognized by Lab leadership, sponsors and collaborators to contribute to national programmatic directions with impact to Lab mission.
• Develops a computational strategy in concert with the EMSL Chief Scientist to serve BER-aligned biological and environmental research by engaging that research community to determine current and future computational science challenges and the computational hardware and software required to meet those challenges. Works with EMSL Science Area and Technology Leads to ensure the computational strategy is represented in their strategy and vice versa. Represents EMSL’s computational strategy and operations with our sponsor BER and during our triennial review. Represents EMSL with the broader PNNL computing strategy team and PNNL research computing team to ensure cost-effective utilization of resources for EMSL and PNNL.
• Responsible for ensuring computing hardware and software are able to meet the needs of the user program in concert with Capability Leads. Authority over computational investment and development to ensure EMSL computing capabilities meet the needs of the current and future BER user community, including high performance computing acquisition and divestment strategy and implementation. Responsible for computational software acquisition, development and implementation working with EMSL leadership
• Develops and implements an outreach strategy with EMSL leadership to attract current and new computational users to EMSL. Advocate for EMSL computational capabilities to the broader scientific community and our sponsor BER. Organizes sessions to highlight EMSL computing at national meetings. Recruits new users at scientific meetings. Communicates EMSL computational capabilities to BER PIs.
BS/BA with 9 years of experience; MS/MA with 7 years of experience; PhD with 5 years of experience
• Ph.D. or advanced degree in a science domain relevant to the EMSL user facility with 10 years of experience. Experience managing large complex projects and with multiple participants. Demonstrated successful management of computational hardware and software for the scientific community.
• Expertise and understanding of the EMSL user facility and application of EMSL computational capabilities to biological and environmental science.
• Knowledge of BER science and strategy.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Job Category: Scientists/Scientific Support
Group: Environmntl Molecular Sci Div
Opening Date: 2018-08-07
Closing Date: 2018-08-22