Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Chief Operations Officer for Environmental Molecular Science in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308198
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Environmental Molecular Sciences
The Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL) seek a Chief Operations Officer (COO) to work with the EMSL Director on the management and operations of EMSL. EMSL is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science user facility that provides innovative and breakthrough experimental and computational science to address DOE Office of Biological and Environmental Research (BER) programs by providing access to more than 75 state-of-the-art instrumental and computational capabilities. The users propose to work with EMSL in BER-relevant science areas and if successful collaborate with EMSL on their science. EMSL users address some of the most important molecular-to-mesoscale challenges relevant to DOE missions. The successful candidate will learn quickly about the user program, its management as well as operations and the safety-first approach for staff, users and the facility.
• Provides leadership and direction for management and operations (M&O) through project managers. Is accountable for the performance and results of multidisciplinary teams. Executes S&T plans and contributes to the development of functional strategy. Decisions are guided by functional or major operational strategy and priorities.
• Contributes to the organization’s functional strategy to implement EMSL’s strategic plan and mission, and has direct impact on EMSL’s overall operations. Has significant interaction with sponsor on management and operational issues for EMSL.
• Leads through subordinate managers and S&Es; contributes to the development of functional/operational long-term strategy and develops annual plans to ensure alignment.
• Engages strategically with PNNL, other DOE laboratories and user facilities, and industry. Ability to represent EMSL in M&O discussions and make commitments to sponsors and users.
• The COO for EMSL provides senior management and operational leadership within EMSL by formulating and advocating a M&O vision and strategy that advances EMSL’s user facility mission, and ensures the safe, effective, and efficient management and operations of EMSL to deliver regional, national, and international impact in the biological and environmental sciences.
• Leads the strategic M&O planning effort for EMSL to enable critical new science, technology, and computing capabilities that are required to build and grow research programs, attract effective collaborations, and deliver highly impactful science in key areas of interest to DOE, BER and the nation. Represents M&O in EMSL triennial reviews.
• Facilitates the development of strategic partnerships, collaborations, and other novel teaming arrangements with PNNL, other user facilities, leading universities, national laboratories, research institutes, and private companies that enhance EMSL M&O and further EMSL’s key objectives
• Builds a team atmosphere within EMSL Leadership and staff that allows prioritization of safety-first operations and right sized work scope and budget.
• Identifies staff, instrumentation and facility needs for current and future research operations. Direct supervisor for finance and select EMSL operational staff.
Bachelor’s Degree with 12 plus years of experience; or Advanced Degree plus 10 years of experience
• Ph.D. or advanced degree in a science domain relevant to the EMSL user facility. Experience managing large complex projects with diverse participants and customers.
• Experience in safe conduct of operations of complex wet laboratory spaces with multiple hazards.
• Expertise and understanding of the EMSL user facility and application of EMSL capabilities to biological and environmental science.
• Knowledge of BER science and strategy.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Job Category: Managers
Group: Environmntl Molecular Sci Div
Opening Date: 2018-08-07
Closing Date: 2018-10-02