Macy's Entertainment Mechanical Engineer in Moonachie, New Jersey
* Job Overview: *
Take the helm of one of the world’s most iconic brands, and help bring it to life for our customers. As part of our team, you’ll own, guide, and direct marketing efforts. Constantly creating, innovating, and exploring the new, you’ll drive customer engagement and spark excitement.
Provide corporate oversight and direction for the design, engineering, performance, operation, and for the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, the Macy’s Flower Show, Macy’s Santaland, and other Macy’s Branded Entertainment events and projects. Additionally, this position will be responsible for ensuring plans meet appropriate safety standards and guidelines. Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions: *
• Support new product development efforts by researching thematic/special effects elements. • Actively participate in concept development, schematic design, and design development for special events • Scrutinize specifications & details for special effect systems. • Organize and lead the cost estimating, bidding, and negotiating of contracts with ride and specialized system vendors, collaborating as required. • Oversee installation, commissioning, and evaluation & acceptance process. • Experience in drafting, drawing, model building and sculpting. • Assist production manager and vice president of studio operations in determining construction costs, and look to find cost-effective solutions for each project build. • Assists in maintaining overall organization and inventory for all drawings, scale models, progress photos and the reference library. • Work as needed as a hands-on artist and fabricator on parade floats, balloons, costumes and other studio projects. • Works as needed off-site to survey and provide detailed drawings for areas such as marquees, event sites, and retail store architecture for Flower Show and other events. • Acts as a crewmember on installations, set-ups and take-downs. • Support project managers and design consultants with coordination, design details, and other technical needs, as required for special projects. • Experience in the following computer programs required: Rhino or other equivalent 3D software, AutoCAD, Photoshop, and Illustrator. • Experience preferred in the following programs: Vector Works, Corel Draw, Microsoft Office. • Experience in construction (theatrical and/or structural). • A wide knowledge base of entertainment scenery and machinery fabrication techniques. • Structure engineering knowledge/ experience a plus. • Must have a full understanding of the creative process with knowledge of art history and modern design. • Experience with animated characters/stories/video a plus. • Rigging knowledge/experience a plus. • Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Education/Experience: *
• Bachelor of Science degree in Civil, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, or other related engineering discipline. • Minimum 3 - 5 years of experience combined experience in engineering, maintenance, and/or project management, system design.
Communication Skills: *
- * • Ability to work effectively with individuals at all levels within the organization.
Reasoning Ability: *
• Must be self-directed, able to work with minimal supervision. • Must be able to multi-task several projects, and meet hard deadlines.
- Physical Demands: *
- * • Must be in good physical condition, job requires physical lifting, pulling, pushing 25-50 lbs.
- Other Skills: *
- * • Ability to analyze complex issues and develop effective plans and strategies.
Work Hours: *
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. *
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Moonachie
Job: Parade, Annual Events, and Entertainment
Req ID: MAR02232