Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Computational Models of Algae Pond Behavior in Livermore, California
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee/Mechanical or Aeronautical Engineer (or similar) who has recently earned their PhD to collaborate with staff on developing and using computational models of algae pond behavior. These models are used to quantitatively assess the algae growth model separately and coupled to fluid flow in a raceway pond. The individual will be expected to help design and set up fluid flow experiments in Sandia’s raceways.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Update and develop computational models with relevant physics, informed by experimental data;
- Run computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations or other algae growth models;
- Help set up and run raceway pond or algae growth experiments;
- Analyze experimental data and compare results to models;
- Run life cycle assessment (LCA) analysis of algae systems;
- Communicate your findings to colleagues, customers and the larger scientific community through presentations, technical reports and articles suitable for publication in high-impact journals.
- A PhD in Mechanical or Aeronautical Engineering, Biophysics, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or a related field;
- Strong understanding of the modeling of raceway ponds and/or turbulent flows;
- Experience with CFD modeling;
- A record of first-author or co-authored scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences;
- Python and/or MATLAB coding experience;
- Experience modeling algae growth;
- Experience with algae experiments.
- High performance computing experience;
- Experience with Fluent;
- Experience with life cycle assessment modeling;
- Demonstrated innovation – from planning to delivery of results;
- Collaborative work habits – ability to efficiently leverage available expertise;
- Inclusive research approach - ability to work with a diverse group of scientists and engineers;
- Good communication skills.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT