Argonne National Laboratory Software Engineer in Lemont, Illinois
Requisition Number: 404087 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: PHY-Physics
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): RD2 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The Physics Division of Argonne National Laboratory is seeking a Software Engineer within the Argonne Tandem Linac Accelerator System (ATLAS) group. ATLAS is a DOE National User Facility particle accelerator for atomic and nuclear physics research. This position will be part of the ATLAS Control System team and, with limited supervision, will be responsible for developing and implementing new software, as well as making enhancements or modifications to existing software, to ensure effective control system performance. In this role, the individual will interact with scientific users and other Physics team members to define system requirements and implement robust solutions. This position will utilize computer science, software engineering, and mathematical principles to design physical models, distributed applications, and specialized scientific and engineering databases. The incumbent will be on-call to diagnose and correct both hardware and software system failures. This position requires the ability to communicate effectively and provide comprehensive documentation to system non-experts.
- Degree in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with software development using C or C++ programming languages
- Demonstrated proficiency with Linux-based operating systems and system administration
- Knowledge of computer network topologies and protocols such as TCP/IP and/or UDP
- Verbal and written communication skills necessary for interaction with colleagues and others including scientific and technical staff.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to create written documentation both technical and non-technical in nature.
- Knowledge and skills in understanding of scientific and engineering concepts related to accelerator technologies and control systems
- Familiarity with a distributed control system package such as EPICS, VSystem, Tango.
- Prior experience implementing RS-232/485 communication for instrument control
- Prior experience with the OpenVMS operating system and/or Oracle RDB
- Familiarity with industrial communication architectures such as VME or CAMAC.
- Proficiency utilizing version control tools such as Git or Subversion
- Prior experience with FORTRAN and multi-OS Java implementations
- Familiarity with web server administration and Windows domain administration
- Familiarity with PLCs and touchscreen graphical user interface design
- Prior experience managing complex projects from start to finish
RD2 Requirements: Bachelor’s and 5+ years of work experience; Master’s and 3+ years of work experience; Doctorate and 0 years of work experience, or equivalent.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.