Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit Manager – Government Relations in Detroit, Michigan
Manager – Government Relations
Under the direction of the Vice President of Marketing and External Affairs, support the planning and implementation of activities pertaining to government relations and external affairs. Assist with departmental strategic planning and the successful execution of the organization’s strategic plan.
Bachelor degree in business, marketing or communications is preferred.
Three to five years in government relations, public policy, external affairs and/or public relations role with a for-profit or non-profit organization.
Strong language, grammar, writing, spelling, research and speaking skills; experience and proven results in the application of digital and social media channels in a business environment; event planning; ease in engaging with people of all ages and ethnic backgrounds, good project organization and management skills; a strong team orientation.
Must be able to work flexible extended hours as necessary, including Saturday or Sunday hours; must possess and maintain a valid State of Michigan driver’s license, proof of insurance and personal vehicle access and use.* *
Position Duties:* *
- Support corporate external affairs and government/community affairs efforts
- Participate in the development and implementation of strategies that drive higher levels of community awareness and engagement of Goodwill’s and Green Work’s mission and initiatives
- Support the implementation of marketing and public relations and government relations for the organization’s mission, vision and strategies
- Attend community and organization meetings as requested by Vice President of Marketing and External Affairs
- Maintain high-degree of confidentiality regarding information gained in the course of performing duties
- Participate in self-sponsored and organization-sponsored professional development opportunities to enhance leadership skills and stay abreast of best practices
- Demonstrate personal commitment to core values and mission of Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit.
- Integrity: We volunteer the truth.
- Dignity & Respect: We treat others in ways that indicate we value them.
- Continuous Improvement: We engage in deliberate practices to improve our people, productivity, trainee and customer outcomes.
- Diversity & Inclusion: We create environments where everyone is valuable and celebrated.
- Perform other assignments as required
- Build and foster collaborative relationships with other departments within the organization to stay informed and abreast of new initiatives, products and services
- Identify opportunities to support organizational initiatives and develop communications materials and programs to promote and publicize these activities
- Build and foster long-term working relationships with various publics of importance including members of the community, city and state elected and their representatives, and other organizations
- Support the management and establishment of key relationships by collaborating with industry and government stakeholders; following up to ensure positive relationship management
- Assist with development and execution of External Affairs-relevant company events
- Serve as company representative at professional organization and other external events as requested by Vice President
- Identify and recommend new and innovative External Affairs initiatives and communication ideas by staying current on industry and business best practices
- Support the management of the organization’s government portfolio that includes planning, implementing, maintaining and evaluating local and state government opportunities
- Research, write and prepare components of government reports with appropriate program and other staff
- Work with supervisor to prepare written materials for external use; strategize distribution as needed
- Track relevant research and reports, best practices, public policy and government funding; synthesize to identify trends and potential opportunities and challenges