Transport America Account Manager in Birmingham, Alabama
_SUMMARY OF POSITION:_
The Dedicated Account Leader position is a hybrid role consisting of three main responsibilities: dispatching, planning, and customer service of assigned account(s).Dedicated Account Leaders manage key metrics of the business such as driver performance & retention, safety & compliance, and driver pay. The Dedicated Account Leader position will provide you with great opportunities to make an immediate impact on our business through your achievements. We are looking for individuals who exhibit a strong personal commitment to teamwork and have demonstrated the ability to communicate and influence others.
In addition, this role is accountable for supporting business improvement by meeting personal and departmental goals and objectives timely and effectively.
**POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
**Day-to-day responsibilities include but are not limited to:__
- Lead, develop, and retain of team of 20-30+ drivers.
- Ensure safety and security of Transport America's (TA) equipment.
- Manage driver home time needs.
- Manage drivers to on-time-performance (OTP) expectations (i.e. freight is picked up and delivered as scheduled).
- Present work assignments for drivers, considering all of his/her needs and capabilities.
- Ensure drivers are properly presented in TransCom (TA's TMS) and are also properly set up with equipment (i.e. trailers).
- Ensure proper and complete documentation of driver data, activity, discussions, accomplishments, and issues.
- Manage the maintenance calendar, shutdown queue, and other regulatory events.
- Accurately communicate customer expectations, thus allowing the driver to be successful.
- Monitor appointment dates and trailer requirements, providing verbal dispatch for required JIT/time sensitive customers.
- Review requirements with the driver when assigned Hazmat, high value, and high maintenance type loads (verbal dispatch as required).
- Ensure the driver understands procedures and protocol related to accidents, theft, and equipment.
- Provide feedback to drivers on how they are performing (ongoing reviews of key metrics on driver scorecard).
- Conduct annual performance reviews, reward/discipline as appropriate; document and update Driver Database.
- Deliver disciplinary action, up to and including termination, when appropriate.
- Routinely discuss driver's performance with the Dedicated Operations Manager
- Maintain awareness of driver's physical & emotional state and assess how it affects safety, service, and productivity.
- Receive PTA commitments from drivers and ensure he or she agrees to this time.
- Coach drivers in necessary procedures that will prevent loss and damage claims; assist the Claims department in claims investigations.
- Plan driver's home time needs and calendar events.
- Plan to meet on-time performance (OTP) expectations.
- Match loads and drivers to meet TA's Customer commitments while maximizing the utilization of TA's assets.
- Create and execute plans in accordance with customer expectations, driver needs, and system balance.
- Accurately communicate with the customer when there's a challenge to meet their requirements/expectations.
- Accurately communicate to the driver when challenged to meet the driver's needs/expectations.
- Manage and ensure drivers are routed through safe havens as appropriate when planning High Value loads.
- Accurately track and maintain customer trailer pool requirements in regions of responsibility
- Coordinate with appropriate groups to resolve equipment issues.
- Maximize driver mileage performance.
- Customer Service
- Build effective business relationships with assigned account(s).
- Proactively manage and monitor day-to day-activity.
- Anticipate and facilitate problem resolution with any shipments at risk of meeting service requirements.
- Understand TA's operation network in an effort to work with customers to enhance existing business and increase load volume.
- Utilize network balance and pricing tools to perform daily solicitation to existing accounts to offset capacity imbalances.
- Collaborate with internal customers to expand service offerings to enhance the customer's experience.
- Make operational decisions that directly relate to company margin
- Provide business updates for assigned accounts to leadership on a routine basis.
Note: These are the major functions and accountabilities required of the position and are the predominant criteria by which performance will be assessed. OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED.*__*__
_REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES:_
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required. Bachelor's degree in Transportation or Logisitics preferred.
- 1-2 years experience as an Account Manager or Customer Service Manager preferred.
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with customers, stakeholders, and team members.
- Strong, demonstrated leadership capabilities, includes building effective teams.
- Ability to resolve issues without follow up.
- Outstanding communication skills.
- Effectively copes with change and is energized by tough challenges.
- Demonstrated problem solving capabilities and timely decision making. Identifies options including the short and long term impact on business operations.
- Proficient in MS Excel and other MS Office Suite programs.
Department: Operations - Dedicated
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Employment Type: Full Time