State of Minnesota Personnel Officer in Bemidji, Minnesota
Perform professional human resources duties, assisting the Chief Human Resources Officer in all phases of human resources programs at Bemidji State University (BSU) and Northwest Technical College (NTC), specifically focused on position classification, recruitment and selection processes.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES AND RESULTS
- Responsibility and Results – Recruitment and Selection
Manage the recruitment and selection process for positions so that faculty, staff and administrators are hired and interruptions to BSU/NTC operations are minimized. Results are: 1) staffing needs are analyzed; 2) contractual provisions and all procedures and policies are followed; 3) supervisors are assisted throughout the recruitment and selection processes, including (but not limited to) the formation of the Search Advisory Committees (SAC), assistance in drafting position descriptions, job postings, marketing advice and placement; assistance in drafting interview questions, selection criteria, and reference checking; 4) all related personnel/payroll transactions are processed correctly and associated problems are resolved; and 5) H1B and J1 visas are properly managed, private and confidential information is secure and protected.
Priority: Essential Percent of Time: 50%
- Responsibility and Results – Position Classification
Manage the position classification process for all faculty, staff and administrator positions. Assist supervisors in using appropriate processes, forms and language per the collective bargaining unit assigned. Assist supervisors in accurately describing responsibilities, duties and qualifications of positions. Serve as a liaison to Minnesota State system office classification staff to ensure complete position packages are submitted for review. Results are: Proper classification of all BSU/NTC positions; timely responses to classification and/or reclassification requests.
Priority: Essential Percent of Time: 10%
- Responsibility and Results – Labor Relations
Assist Chief Human Resources Officer, supervisors, administrators, and staff in solving complex human resource issues related to contract interpretation for all collective contracts and plans. Serve as a liaison to the Minnesota State system office labor relations’ staff to ensure compliance with employment law and collective bargaining agreements. Results are: Proper interpretation and administration of collective bargaining agreements/plans; timely responses to information requests.
Priority: Essential Percent of Time: 10%
- Responsibility and Results – Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS)
Manage the creation, maintenance, and retention of records and data, including SCUPPS and SEMA4. Research and compose reports from same, so that contractual requirements are met and information is presented to management, System Office and MMB upon request. Maintain data including but not limited to schedules, performance evaluation dates, probationary dates, salary increase eligibility dates, and supervisor relationship. Results are: 1) appointments and corresponding data meet all bargaining criteria 2) requests from the system office, MMB, union, and supervisors are fulfilled timely.
Priority: Essential Percent of Time: 10%* *
- Responsibility and Results – Onboarding and Training
Provide New Employee Orientation; ensure mandatory training requirements are met and, professional development needs for all employees are met.
Results are: 1) New employees are provided with a comprehensive orientation that ensures they are ready to work with a full understanding of their rights and responsibilities as a State of Minnesota employee; 2) New employees understand MnSCU/BSU/NTC’s policies and procedures and their role in enforcement; 3) All employees are engaged in continuous quality improvement through professional development.
Priority: Essential Percent of Time: 10%
- Responsibility and Results – Other Projects/Duties as Assigned
Complete all special projects and assignments from Chief Human Resources Officer/management/System Office to provide and improve the efficiency of the Human Resources office. Employee has access to documents/data containing labor relations information as defined by M.S. 13.37. Employee may serve as resource to management team for labor relations information, as defined in M.S. 13.37, used in collective bargaining.
Priority: Secondary Percent of Time: 10%
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR, Business, or related field or two years para-professional experience performing HR work or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Interviewing skill sufficient to apply to discussing and resolving personnel related employee problems.
- Ability sufficient to analyze the job responsibilities assigned to positions to determine appropriate classification levels.
- Ability sufficient to analyze problems, recommend solutions using precedents, collective bargaining agreements, and personnel laws and rules.
- Ability sufficient to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work independently to meet deadlines.
- Ability sufficient to present ideas effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability sufficient to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, operating agencies, and the public in a confidential work environment.
- Ability sufficient to utilize proficient business software application skills, such as Microsoft Office, Access, Excel, Hyperion/Brio skills, sufficient to create, enter, save, manipulate and/or prepare letters, memos, reports, databases, and spreadsheets andto learn basic technical phases of personnel operations.
- The applicant should demonstrate a knowledge of or experience with diverse cultures and populations.
- Minnesota Class D Driver’s License
- Experience in recruitment, onboarding, employee training programs, benefits administration retirement programs, employee engagement and recognition programs, and organizational structure and succession planning.
- Demonstrate ongoing professional HR development
- Knowledge of the State and/or Minnesota State policies, procedures, collective bargaining agreements and plans.
- Knowledge and understanding of the State's payroll system (SEMA4) and the Minnesota State payroll system (SCUPPS).
- Project Management experience.
- The applicant should demonstrate a knowledge of and interest in diverse cultures and populations.
More than 20% of the time:N/A
Less than 20% of the time:N/A
Frequent:Repetitive arm motion; midrange and near vision; hearing; talking.
*Occasional: *Reaching; Simple grasp; squatting; standing; twisting/pivoting; walking; far vision.
This position requires successful completion of the following:
In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities (MnSCU) Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MnSCU’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
Employment information for this position can be found in its collective bargaining agreement or its plan document at http://mn.gov/mmb/employee-relations/labor-relations/Labor.
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
How to Apply
Click “Apply” at the bottom of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Carol Hess at email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity
Minnesota State Colleges and Universities is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651.259.3637or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance is needed.
Job Title: Personnel Officer
Job ID: 24124
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 06/04/2018
Closing Date: 06/25/2018
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota State / Bemidji State University
Hiring Agency: Minnesota State / Bemidji State University
Division/Unit: HR Department
Appointment Type: Unlimited, Full-time
Work Shift: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Work Hours: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Work Shift/Work Hours: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Days of Work: Monday through Friday
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $19.03 - $27.53/hourly; $39,734 - $57,482/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 217 - Confidential/Unrep
Job Class: Human Resources Specialist 1
Working Title: Human Resources Specialist