Indian Health Service Supervisory Clinical Nurse in Zuni, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Zuni, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 10/7/2016 (16 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 10/28/2016 (5 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-AQ-1803022-ESEP/MP for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
The position is located at the Indian Health Service Hospital, Zuni, New Mexico and reports to the Director of Nursing. The incumbent is responsible for managing and supervising the staff in the Outpatient Nursing Department which includes Ambulatory, Urgent Care and Emergency Room services. Manages all aspects of the Outpatient Department from monitoring and improving the flow of the appointment clinics and urgent care/emergency room processes to procurement of supplies and equipment. Functions include responsibility for total house supervision of all patient care areas (Obstetrics, General Medical Surgical and the Outpatient and Emergency Room). Work is on a rotational assignment for days, nights, weekends and holidays. The incumbent is subject to call back for patient and/or staffing emergencies.
Area of Consideration: All Sources
- Manages all aspects of the Outpatient Department which comprised of appointment clinics, urgent care and emergency room. Monitors and improves the flow of the appointment clinics and urgent care/emergency room processes to procurement of supplies and equipment.
- Provides administrative and technical supervision to the Outpatient Department staff. Plans, assigns, analyzes and evaluates nursing staff which includes civil service, commissioned officers and contracted nursing. Identifies issues/problems and recommends solutions that affect the attainment of the mission, goals and objectives of outpatient care services. Coordinates work assignments for Health Technicians.
- Plans and assigns work; prepare daily assignments and schedules for completion of work in collaboration with other health-care providers and departments. Approves and/or denies leave request. Develops and implements performance evaluation standards. Initiates and recommends appropriate disciplinary actions. Prepares and submits reports as requested.
- Provides total house supervision of all patient care areas (Obstetrics, General Medical Surgical and the Outpatient and Emergency Room).
Clinical Nursing Care/Services:
- Provides professional clinical nursing services to all patients in an ambulatory care/urgent care/emergency room setting by assessing, planning, implementing, documenting and evaluating nursing care and/or services.
- Initiates and leads interdisciplinary groups and collaborates with professional and/or other health related groups.
- Provides therapeutic interventions as prescribed by the primary care provider. Recognizes urgent/emergent situations and initiates emergency procedures during cardio-pulmonary arrest, external or internal disaster, etc.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel is required to transport patients to other health care facilities.
- Relocation Authorized Description: Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below:
Candidates must have had 52 weeks of professional nurse experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level OR completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education.
Evaluation of Education: Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled.
Professional Nurse Experience: Experience in performing supervisory or managerial capacity duties with responsibilities for supervision, planning, directing, monitoring and evaluating nursing care services in a hospital setting or clinical unit. Experience as the nursing care expert, provides nursing care advice to management officials and ensure that The Joint Commission and/or Centers of Medicare/Medicaid (CMS) are met.
Selective Factor: In addition to the qualification requirements, to be rated basically qualified for the position, applicants must demonstrate possession of the following:
Verification of a current, valid, active, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States is required when filling all positions for registered nurses at all levels.
Public Health Service (PHS) Licensure Policy: Each PHS Nurse must possess and maintain a valid, active, current licensure/registration as a professional nurse.
Supervisory or Managerial Competencies: Candidates should possess proficiency or the potential to develop proficiency on these competencies prior into a supervisory position:
Accountability - Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities, and delegates work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Complies with established control systems and rules.
Customer Service - Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Delivers high-quality products and services; is committed to continuous improvement.
Decisiveness - Makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data are limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
Flexibility - Is open to change and new information; rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
Integrity/Honesty - Behaves in an honest, fair, and ethical manner. Shows consistency in words and actions. Models high standards of ethics.
Interpersonal Skills - Treats others with courtesy, sensitivity, and respect. Considers and responds appropriately to the needs and feelings of different people in different situations.
Oral Communication - Makes clear and convincing oral presentations. Listens effectively; clarifies information as needed.
Problem Solving - Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations.
Resilience - Deals effectively with pressure; remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovers quickly from setbacks.
Written Communication - Writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience.
Other Competencies Related to Leadership Positions:
Conflict Management - Encourages creative tension and differences of opinions. Anticipates and takes steps to prevent counter-productive confrontations. Manages and resolves conflicts and disagreements in a constructive manner.
Creativity and Innovation: Develops new insights into situations; questions conventional approaches; encourages new ideas and innovations; designs and implements new or cutting edge programs/processes.
Developing Others - Develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and by providing opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods.
Human Capital Management - Builds and manages workforce based on organizational goals, budget considerations, and staffing needs. Ensures that employees are appropriately recruited, selected, appraised, and rewarded; takes action to address performance problems. Manages a multi-sector work force and a variety of work situations.
Teambuilding - Inspires and fosters team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust. Facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish group goals.
Technical Credibility - Understands and appropriately applies principles, procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies related to specialized expertise.
Technology Management - Keeps up-to-date on technological developments. Makes effective sue of technology to achieve results. ensures access to and security of technology systems.
Vision - Takes a long-term view and builds a shared vision with others; acts as a catalyst for organizational change. Influences others to translate vision into action.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, October 28, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
- Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
- A one-year supervisory probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
- The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/ For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/ For HRSA Nurse Corps - http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Work is on a rotational assignment for days, nights, weekends and holidays. The incumbent is subject to call back for patient and/or staffing emergencies.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $69,081.00 to $84,624.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-11/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: United States Citizens; PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply to the merit promotion announcement in order to receive consideration.
Control Number: 452382800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-AQ-1803025-DH