Indian Health Service Health System Administrator, (Chief Executive Officer), GS-0670-14 DE in Yuma, Arizona
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following locations:
- Yuma, AZ
- Elko, NV
- Fort Duchesne, UT
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 5/2/2016 (172 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 11/1/2016 (11 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-PX-1673316-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Amendment: This Announcement is amended to correct the salary.
Amendment 2: Removing Elko Service Unit in Elko, NV and Uintah & Ouray Service Unit in Fort Duchesne, UT.
Health System Administrator (Chief Executive Officer) for one of these locations under the Phoenix Area Indian Health Service. Position plans, implements, and administers programs and services in a health care or medical facility. The Elko Service Unit Chief Executive Officer position will report to the Deputy Director for Nevada Operations; and the Fort Yuma Service Unit and Uintah-Ouray Service Unit Chief Executive Offers will report to the Director for Field Operations of the Indian Health Service, Phoenix Area.
- 1 Vacancy at the Elko Service Unit in Elko, NV.
- 1 Vacancy at the Uintah & Ouray Service Unit in Fort Duchesne, UT. NOTE: The Ute Indian Tribe may be assuming all U&O; operations under Public Law 93-638 in a future date. If you have questions on how this will affect employment in this position, please contact the HR Specialist listed under this announcement.
- 1 Vacancy at the Fort Yuma Service Unit in Winterhaven, CA.
FIRST CUT-OFF DATE: May 31, 2016. Applications received by the first cut-off date will be referred first. Applications of qualified applicants received after the first cut-off date will be referred to the selecting official once a month until the closing date of October 30, 2016 or once a selection is made.
Serve as the Chief Executive Officer.
- Direct, supervise, and evaluate work activities of administrative, medical, and other staff.
- Conduct and administer fiscal operation, including accounting, planning budgets, and authorizing expenditures, etc.
- Maintain communication between governing board, medical staff, and tribal customers in order to ensure the delivery of quality patient care.
- Plan, implement, and administer programs and services in a health care facility, including personnel administration, training, and coordination of medical staff and services.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): All applicants must meet the following basic requirements - Experience: Progressively responsible analytical or administrative, or clinical management or supervisory experience in the health care field. This work may have been performed in an operating health care facility or a higher organizational echelon with advisory or directional authority over such facilities. Work must have involved a close working relationship with facility managers and analysis and/or coordination of administrative, clinical, or other service activities, and provided knowledge of the following:
- Missions, organizations, programs, and requirements of health care delivery systems;
- Regulations and standards of various regulatory and credentialing groups; and
- Government-wide, agency, and facility systems and requirements in various administrative areas such as budget, personnel, and procurement.
Applicants must also possess:
- Management ability to delegate authority, evaluate and oversee people and programs, recognize and adapt to changing priorities; and
- Knowledge of the interrelationships and interdependencies among various medical and administrative services and programs.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: GS-14: One year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector planning, directing, or coordinating medical and health services in hospitals, clinics, managed care organizations, or public health agencies; developing comprehensive plans on both a short and long range basis to anticipate and plan for the activities to meet health care needs; providing program direction to the key administrative and professional staff members; and assuring that administrative and clinical programs and policies are integrated while eliciting compromise and coordination between services.
- A Master's Degree in Public Health, Public Administration, or Business Administration is highly desired.
- Prior experience as the Chief Executive Officer of a comparable facility in terms of size, outpatient visits, user population, number of employees, and budget is highly desired
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Tuesday, November 01, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at Benefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal Employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
Recruitment incentive (may or may not) be authorized.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Selectee may be required to travel and must possess a valid driver license.
- Must have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct depost of salary payment.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $99,785.00 to $129,723.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0670-14/14
Promotion Potential: 14
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 437773800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-PX-1694105-DE