Air Force Materiel Command Pathways Intern Student Trainee (Computer Science) in Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
Air Force Materiel Command
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
Work Schedule is Multiple Schedules - Internships
Opened Monday 10/17/2016 (3 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 10/26/2016 (6 day(s) away)
Are you looking for a unique internship to gain valuable work experience? An internship with the Department of the Air Force offers challenging work, and the satisfaction of knowing you've made a difference. We're offering you an exciting opportunity to gain "real world" experience as an Intern in the Pathways Program.
This is a Pathways Student Internship which offers valuable work experience. This is your opportunity to begin a successful Federal civilian career with the United States Air Force. As an Intern, you will be exposed to Federal career opportunities to help you decide if you want a career in the Federal Government. Upon completing your degree and meeting conversion eligibility requirements, you may be eligible for placement in a permanent position. However, it is important to remember that eligibility for conversion does not guarantee you will be offered a permanent position. The length of Internship is normally two years or when you complete your academic program and degree requirements.
*WHO MAY APPLY: *Students recently accepted or currently enrolled as a degree-seeking student on a full or half time basis at an accredited academic institution.
JOB POSITION SUMMARY:The primary purpose of these positions is to provide student trainees in the Pathways Internship Program with on the job training and guidance that further develops individual technically in the field of computer science.
Performs selected tasks and phases of routine studies and projects that require application of basic occupational field theory and principles in the technical area of computer science.
Participates with senior personnel in conducting non-routine projects.
Provides assistance in planning, monitoring, and conducting special studies, projects, and initiatives.
Prepares written correspondence and other documentation.
- Not Required
- Must obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance
- Must meet Pathways Program conditions listed under "Requirements"
- Travel and relocation expenses are not authorized
- Qualifications must be met at the time of application
- Must be able to work 20-40 hours a week
- Travel and transportation and relocation expenses will not be paid.
- Travel and relocation expenses will be the responsibility of the employee
For GS-03 grade level:Completion of 30 semester hours or more of post-high school study leading towards a qualifying degree (i.e. associate's, bachelor's, master's, etc.) in computer science
For GS-04 grade level:Completion of 60 semester hours or more of post-high school study leading towards a qualifying degree (i.e. associate's, bachelor's, master's, etc.) in computer science
REQUIRED AREAS OF STUDY: Seeking a degree in computer science or a related degree with a combination of mathematics, statistics and computer science.
This position has an education requirement. You MUST provide UPDATEDtranscripts that show any/all degrees conferred, current grades with cumulative GPA, and proof of current enrollment/registration to support your educational claims. Acceptance letter is also required, if applicable to your current academic status. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof of the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. For more information click here.
You must be a student currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an accredited college or university AND:
- Enrollment must be at least half-time course load as defined by the education institution (typically six hours or equivalent for undergraduate and three hours or equivalent for graduate)
- Maintain good academic standing, minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 grading scale
- Meet the qualification standards of the position
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must sign a Pathways Internship Program Participant Agreement; furnish course registration information at the start of each school term; and provide verification of academic status (transcript) at the end of each academic term
- A U.S. citizen or a U.S. national (i.e. resident of American Samoa or Swains Island). Non-citizens may be eligible for employment if Permitted by the DoD Appropriation Act and eligible to work under U.S. immigration laws
NOTE: U.S. citizenship is required for a noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term appointment with the Department of the Air Force.
Applicants must meet requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
What To Expect Next
Electronic submission is the quickest and easiest option. Please ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number and at least your last four digits of your social security number.
(1) Applicants will be notified by USAJOBS when their application has been received. This notification does not imply that you have submitted all the necessary documentation for this announcement, so read the announcement carefully. (2) After the announcement closes, you will receive an appropriate "Notice of Results" rating which is based solely on your responses to the assessment questionnaire, and is subject to verification. (3) If you are referred to the selecting official, you will receive a "Notice of Referral". If you are deemed eligible, but are not referred to the selecting official, you will receive a "Notice of Non-Referral". (4) If you are referred, but not selected, you will receive a "Disposition Letter" notifying you of the non-selection. If you are selected, you will receive a tentative offer of employment via email notification.
Department of the Air Force offers excellent benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays and a 401K-type retirement plan. For more information click here.
At the option of the Agency, students who successfully complete all educational, work and other eligibility requirements of the program may be considered for conversion to a permanent or term position upon completion of degree requirements. Please note: conversion potential is at management's discretion and based on factors such as budget, organizational need, student performance, education, etc. Conversion is not guaranteed.
Interns* may be*considered for noncompetitive conversion to a term or permanent appointment within 120 days of completion of degree requirements, if they meet the following:
A U.S. citizen
Successfully complete academic course of study with a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale
Complete a minimum of 640 hours of work experience under the Internship Program
Meet the OPM Qualification requirements for the position the intern may be converted to
Maintain acceptable performance
Pathways Interns may be non-competitively converted to career ladder positions, e.g., GS-1550-07 target 12.
Any applicant tentatively selected for this position may be required to undergo a pre-employment background investigation.
Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, who are 18 but not yet 26 years old, must be registered with the selective service system (or have an exemption) to be eligible for federal employment. For additional information or to register, click here .
The entire period served under the Internship Program counts as the participant's trial period.
Interns may work part-time or full-time schedules.
*Direct Deposit: *All Federal employees are required to have federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service of more than three (3) calendar days may be required prior to appointment to the position.
EEO Statement: THE DEPARTMENT OF THE AIR FORCE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Selection will be made without regard to non-merit factors such as race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, age, politics, disability, or sexual orientation, which do not relate to successful performance of the duties of the position except where specifically authorized by law. This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the agency. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
90-Day Register: This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual's employment experience will be used only to determine the person's qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual's personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination.
Salary Range: $26,215.00 to $38,257.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-1599-03/04
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Current students enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a degree seeking student on a full or half time basis at an accredited academic institution
Control Number: 453434200
Job Announcement Number: AFMC-1824430-740699-9X-TZM