Indian Health Service Nurse Anesthetist, GS-0610-12 DHA in Whiteriver, Arizona
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Whiteriver, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 9/9/2016 (46 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 11/10/2016 (16 day(s) away)
This is a Direct Hire OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT (OCA) for anticipated or future vacancies at the Whiteriver Service Unit in Whiteriver, Arizona. Candidates with a complete application may be considered for positions that match the desired specialities and/or job preferences. Positions may be filled at any of the grade levels indicated in this announcement, with or without promotion potential, as vacancies occur.
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Accredited by the Joint Commission, the Whiteriver PHS Indian Hospital Whiteriver PHS Indian Hospital is 40-bed hospital and provides ambulatory and inpatient services for 17,000 White Mountain Apache Tribal Members and 4,000 Native Americans living in the surrounding areas. The Cibecue Health Center, located 50 miles southwest of Whiteriver, provides outpatient, urgent care, dental, and community health services to 1,800 residents of Cibecue and Carrizo.
One (1) permanent Nurse Anesthetist position to be filled in the Ambulatory Surgery Department at the Whiteriver Service Unit in Whiteriver, Arizona. The Incumbent will serve as an independent licensed practitioner, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, who develops the anesthetic treatment plan, performs pre-op evaluations, selects anesthetics to be used, considers such factors as patient's condition and operation to be performed, and assesses and documents patient's recovery from anesthesia. The Incumbent will report to the Clinical Director.
GOVERNMENT HOUSING: Government housing may be available.
RECRUITMENT/RELOCATION BONUS: Recruitment/Relocation bonus, may be authorized subject to availability and approval. If offered, you will be required to sign a 1-year service agreement and failure to fulfill the service agreement may result in repayment of recruitment/relocation bonus.
- Determines and provides treatment plans and services for patients undergoing a wide variety of surgical operations.
- Conducts pre-operative assessment of the surgical patient by reviewing the clinical chart and interviewing the patient.
- Establishes the treatment plan and administers the proper anesthesia technique to include: general anesthesia or sedation to the patient to the proper state of anesthesia depth, utilizing a variety of drugs and techniques, or regional anesthesia to produce insensitivity to surgical stimuli.
- Manages patient's condition throughout surgery which involves interpreting and utilizing data from a variety of monitoring devices and determining the need and applying appropriate supportive therapy.
- Manages the post-anesthesia care of patients by reviewing clinical chart; conducting interviews to determine presence of complications and assuring continuity of care from surgery to recovery room. Participates in emergency cases throughout the medical facility by applying resuscitation techniques.
- Provides other supportive and clinical services such as peripheral or central venous access, pain management techniques and procedures.
- Participates in emergency cases by applying resuscitative techniques throughout the medical facility.
- Participates in the selection, inventory, ordering, cleaning and maintenance of equipment and supplies necessary for anesthesia services.
- Consults with health care professionals on patients with special or complicated medical problems to obtain diagnostic and therapeutic assistance, coordinates needs and make arrangements for referral to other resources.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Moving expenses may or may not authorized and is subject to availabilty and approval. If offered, you will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Applicants for nurse anesthetist positions must have graduated from a course of study for nurses in anesthesia of at least 18 month's duration that was accredited by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists for the year of their graduation.
Registration: Applicants must demonstrate possession of the following. Verification of current, valid, active, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States is required when filling all positions for registered nurses at all levels.
In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements:
GS-12: Applicants must have 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level. Specialized experience is defined as serving as an independent licensed practitioner, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist providing treatment plans and services to patients undergoing a wide variety of surgical operations, with little to no supervision.
Evaluation of Experience: Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing, (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled. Applicants for nurse anesthetist positions at GS-9 and above must have graduated from a course of study for nurses in anesthesia of at least 18 month's duration that was accredited by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists for the year of their graduation.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Immunization against Measles adn Rubella required; influenza vaccine is recommended.
- 1 year probationary period for initial appointment to Federal service.
- May work alternative work schedule to provide continuity of service.
- Position covered by PL101-630, Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act.
- Must have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- Must obtain and maintain clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse action, up to and including removal from the Federal Service. SECURITY CLEARANCE: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; or you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
This is a Direct Hire Open Continuous Announcement. Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the "Status". Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation. It will be removed from consideration after the three months have lapsed and placed in an inactive file. If you want further consideration, after this period, then you must re-apply to the announcement and update any application documents as required.
- You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
- Annual continuing education available at most sites
IHS Loan Repayment Program (LRP):
The IHS has a student loan repayment program for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on Agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information, please visit: http://www.ihs.gov/careeropps/loanrepayment/.
IHS - Operated Properties are Tobacco-Free
Salary Range: $132,195.00 to $171,862.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-12/12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 450187400
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-PX-1798306-OCA