Indian Health Service Family Nurse Practitioner, GS-0610-09/11/12 - Direct Hire in Whiteriver, Arizona
Indian Health Service
Many vacancies in the following location:
- Whiteriver, AZ
Work Schedule is Multiple Schedules - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Wednesday 11/11/2015 (351 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 11/10/2016 (14 day(s) away)
Positions are filled as vacancies occur
This is a Direct Hire OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT (OCA) for anticipated or future vacancies at the Whiteriver Service Unit in Whiteriver, Arizona or Cibecue Health Center in Cibecue, Arizona. Candidates with a complete application may be considered for positions that match the desired specialities and/or job preferences. Positions may be filled at any of the grade levels indicated in this announcement, with or without promotion potential, as vacancies occur.
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
For information on the IHS, visit IHS.GOV
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Accredited by The Joint Commission, the Whiteriver PHS Indian Hospital is a 40-bed hospital and provides ambulatory and inpatient services for 17,000 White Mountain Apache Tribal Members and 4,000 Native Americans living in the surrounding areas. The Cibecue Health Center, located 50 miles southwest of Whiteriver, provides outpatient, urgent care, dental, and community health services to 1,800 residents of Cibecue and Carrizo.
PERIOD OF ELIGIBILITY: Applications will remain eligible for three (3) months from the time the application is received.
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: U.S. Citizens, current and former Competitive Service Federal employees, active U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, Indian Preference candidates, and Veteran's Preference candidates.
APPOINTMENT: Positions may be filled as Full-Time, Part-Time, or Intermittent.
WORK SCHEDULE: Positions may be Rotating Shifts, Nights, Weekends, or Holidays.
GS-09 - $57,093 - $69,936
GS-11 - $69,081 - $84,624
GS-12 - $80,731 - $99,361
RECRUITMENT BONUS: Recruitment bonus, up to 25%, may be authorized subject to availability and approval.If offered, you will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the service agreement may result in repayment of recruitment bonus.
GOVERNMENT HOUSING: Government housing may be available.
TRAVEL REQUIRED: Occasional travel may be required.
- Responsible for advanced practice medical services to patients involving the performance of diagnostic, preventive, or therapeutic services to patients in hospitals and clinics.
- Prescribe or administer treatment, therapy, medication, vaccination, and other medical care to treat, prevent illness, disease, or injury.
- Order, perform, and interpret tests and analyze records, reports and examination information to diagnose patient conditions.
- Collect, record, and maintain patient information such as medical history, reports, and examination results. Experience with Electronic Health Records (EHR) is preferred.
- Monitor progress of patient condition and re-evaluate treatment, as necessary.
- Explain procedures and discuss test results or prescribed treatment, as necessary.
- Refer patients to medical specialists or other practitioners when necessary.
- Coordinate work with nurses, pharmacists, social workers, and other allied health professionals in the provision of a variety of health services.
- Occasional Travel
- May be required to travel to Cibecue Health Center
- Moving expenses may or may not authorized and is subject to availabilty and approval. If offered, you will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Active aurrent unrestricted advanced practice registered nursing (APRN)
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: All Nurse Practitioners must meet all three of the following basic requirements:
Degree: Graduation from a professional Nurse Practitioner program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed. A Masters in Nurse Practitioner is preferred.
Licensure: Active, current registration as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
Certification: Current certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner specialty from a U.S. nationally-recognized credentialing body such as the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). ADDITONAL REQUIREMENTS: In addition to the above, Nurse Practitioners must also meet the following requirements for the GS-09 level and above:
For GS-09: Applicants who meet at least one of the following requirements may qualify for positions at this grade level:
- Completion of a Masters of Nurse Practitioner educational program; or
- Completion of a professional Nurse Practitioner educational program AND one (1) full year of work experience as a certified Nurse Practitioner equivalent to the GS-07 level providing advanced nursing services to patients under the supervision of a physician. Assignments at this level are generally developmental for new Nurse Practitioner graduates; or
- A combination of graduate education and specialized experience as described above.
For GS-11: Applicants who meet at least one of the following requirements may qualify for positions at this grade level:
- Completion of a Doctor of Nurse Practitioner educational program; or
- Completion of a professional Nurse Practitioner educational program AND one (1) full year of work experience as a certified Nurse Practitioner equivalent to the GS-09 level providing primary and/or specialty care to individuals, families, or groups. Assignments at this level as progressively more difficult, in order to expand diagnostic and therapeutic skills, with supervisor or senior employment providing assistance on unusually problems; or
A combination of graduate education and specialized experience as describe above For GS-12: Applicants who meet at least one of the following requirements may qualify for positions at this grade level:
Completion of a professional Nurse Practitioner educational program AND one (1) full year of work experience as a certified Nurse Practitioner equivalent to the GS-11 level serving as an independent practitioner providing comprehensive primary and/or specialty care for patients. Examples of qualifying experience may include: taking case history conducting physical examinations, and ordering laboratory studies during clinic visits. May carry out special procedures such as giving injections or other medication, apply or change dressing, perform lumbar punctures, or suture minor lacerations.
New Graduates: Applications will be accepted from applicants who are in their final year of their Master or Doctoral-level Nurse Practitioner program and expected to obtain the appropriate licensure and national certification within the next six (6) months. Such applicants are required to provide evidence of meeting all position requirements before they can enter on duty.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Immunization against Measles adn Rubella required; influenza vaccine is recommended.
- 1 year probationary period for initial appointment to Federal service.
- May work alternative work schedule to provide continuity of service.
- Position covered by PL101-630, Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act.
- Must have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- Must obtain and maintain clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse action, up to and including removal from the Federal Service.
SECURITY CLEARANCE: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; or you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
This is a Direct Hire Open Continuous Announcement. Multiple position types may be filled from this announcement during the term of the open period. Qualified applicants will be referred at the request of the selecting official upon a vacancy. Those candidates who have complete application packets on file as of each request date will receive full consideration for the vacant position. Your name will be referred to those positions that match your job preferences.Your application will remain active for three months after date of receipt by this office. It will be removed from consideration after the three months have lapsed and placed in an inactive file. If you want further consideration, after this period, then you must re-apply to the announcement and update any application documents as required
- You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
- Annual continuing education available at most sites
NOTE: Part-Time employees pay a proprotionately higher premium for benefits than Full-Time employees. Additionally, earning Annual and Sick Leave balances will be pro-rated based upon the number of hours works. Intermittent employees are not eligible for either health or life insurance coverage (subject to specific conditions) and do not accrue Sick or Annual Leave.
IHS Loan Repayment Program (LRP):
The IHS has a student loan repayment program for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on Agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information, please visit: http://www.ihs.gov/careeropps/loanrepayment/
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $99,361.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 417738900
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-PX-1523389-DHA