General Motors Industrial Maintenance Supervisor - General Assembly - MAN0019514 in Wentzville, Missouri
General Motors (NYSE: GM, TSX: GMM) is a globally renowned mobility technology company with roots tracing back to 1908. Today, with 215,000+ employees spread across 396 facilities in more than 100 countries around the globe, GM offers exciting careers designing, engineering and building some of the world’s most advanced vehicles and personal mobility solutions.
At the new General Motors, we are passionate about designing, building and selling the world’s best vehicles. This vision unites us as a team each and every day and is the hallmark of our customer-driven culture. Making the world’s best vehicles can only happen with the world’s greatest employees. GM is in the process of reinventing our industry with innovative products like the Chevy Volt and OnStar.
Our culture is centered on being Made For More. It’s a concept reflecting our constant pursuit and confident expectation for more out of life—for our company, for our planet, for our customers, and for ourselves. Because our work goes beyond making cars; it’s about allowing people greater access to and more meaningful interactions with the world around them. From designing and engineering state-of-the-art plants and developing new vehicles and technologies to creating new marketing programs, our team members are valued for their unique contributions. We are seeking individuals who are looking to make a difference in one of the world’s most iconic companies.
As state-of-the-art technologies continue to transform the automotive industry, GM is committed to maintaining its position as an industry leader and establishing its innovative vision for the future of transportation. Learn more at http://careers.gm.com.
Mission: Design, build and sell the world's best vehicles.
General Motors Wentzville has produced quality cars, vans, and trucks since 1983. The plant is situated on 438 acres of land in a former wheat field about 40 miles west of St. Louis in Wentzville, Missouri. Currently Wentzville assembly produces the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon pickups as well as the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana full size vans. Wentzville employs over 4600 hourly and salary workers over three shifts. Recent accolades for Wentzville Assembly include winning the 2015 and 2016 Motor Trend Truck of the Year with the Colorado and Autoweek’s 2015 Best of the Best Truck with the Canyon.
The IndustrialMaintenance Supervisor will supervise a medium size group of employees in the General Assembly area of the plant which involves the construction, repair and maintenance of plant and equipment. Work is of a technical nature with decisions made within the limits of general procedures and specifications.Candidate must be able tofunction in a manufacturing maintenance team culture, where lean manufacturingprinciples are highly integrated, work independently under general direction ofa supervisor. Work involves a considerable amount of perception and intuition,in order to make decisions.Some direct guidance received from supervisor.
• Superviseselectrical / mechanicalconstruction and maintenance projects
•Perform preventative andpredictive maintenance activities per schedule
•Organize, plan and execute maintenance and process projects to include process system upgrades and new installations, design, build & debug as required
•Be the “hands-on” technicaloperational specialist, with both mechanical and electrical responsibilities toassure the optimization of all production equipment
•Build and maintain goodworking relationships with employees, union, and management
•Provide a leadership role inthe implementation of major department initiatives; provide technical (mechanical, electrical, pneumatic/hydraulic) expertise to the business unit team to assist in creating and implementing the best solutions to manufacturing challenges
•Proactively pursue thevision established for the area and foster an atmosphere of teamwork andcooperation.
• Responsible for diagnosis of equipment malfunctions; address all machine relatedissues, with co-workers and management personnel with accuracy, in a timelymanner, giving updates and schedules as necessary
• Responsible for the effective use of personnel, material and equipment
•Assist in the developmentof assembly/manufacturing processes for area of responsibility
• Meets schedule and quality requirements
• Complies with the terms of local and national labor agreements
• Implements safety and good housekeeping practices; promote safe work practicesand achieve objectives for ergonomics and health and safety (safety talks, jobinstruction training, ergonomic evaluations, safety incident reports)
• Implements divisional and corporate policies
• Frequent contact with others outside the work group
•Provide environment whichstimulates team members involvement and personal growth through communication,suggestions, development training plans, etc.
• Establishes a course of action to accomplish completion of the job and/or
project; maintain awareness of quality standards,communicate department quality goals and leverage resources to solve qualityproblems
• Coordinates input from internal/external customers to better understand
customer needs and/or perceptions
• Keeps abreast of current product developments and trends in areas of
• Actively identifies new areas for learning and takes advantage of learning
•Communicate between shifts,departmental areas and other departments to implement best practices, resolveproblems and sustain consistent performance to objectives
•Control costs and achieveproductivity improvements
•Participate and lead lean initiatives, such continuous improvement events, identifying and eliminating all types of waste
•Support weekend and off shift needs as required
Education and Training
• Bachelor’s degreen Mechanical Engineering,Journeyman Machine Repair, Journeyman Electrician, or equivalent experience
• Training in skilled trades area or equivalent technical training
• Completion of recommended Corporate training programs
•5+ years high volume manufacturing supervision experience
•Knowledge of advanced mechanical / electrical concepts
•Knowledge of maintenance and construction standards and codes, and applicable laws and regulations
•Strong knowledge of Allen Bradley PLC 5000 and Siemens HMI
•Practical knowledge of associated process equipment operations, sequencing, error-proofing and diagnostic capabilities
•Controls experience/general knowledge of electrical and mechanical systems to include: basic electricity and electronics, controls and instrumentation, programmable logic control (PLC), robotics, mechanical drives and power transmission systems, fluid power and pneumatics(ex. ABB, Fanuc, etc.) is a plus
•Working knowledge of general maintenance principles, blueprint reading/schematics and welding
•Hands on mechanical and electrical capability, grasping complex systems easily, along with the ability to multitask in a highly flexible environment
•Experience/knowledge of GM Global Manufacturing System (GMS)
•Knowledge of continuous improvement processes (CIP)
•Statistical process control skills
• Relatively high level of analytical ability where problems are complex
• Ability to interpret blueprints and engineering drawings
• Knowledge of basic math including trigonometry
• Oral and written communication skills
• High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
• Knowledge of basic mechanical concepts
• Demonstrated technical and professional skills in job-related area required
• Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with business partners to meet mutual goals required, motivate employees and elicit work output
• Knowledge of and ability to effectively use computer software as it pertains to engineering preferred
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.