General Motors System Safety Engineer - ENG0027936 in Warren, Michigan
- Support product engineering team, providing safety process-specific knowledge for both in-house and out-sourced programs
Develop and maintain the system safety plan for the project according to the GM System Safety Engineering Process for assigned projects.
Work with the GM and/or supplier project manager to interlink the safety plan with the project plan.
- Perform and/or manage the execution of the safety tasks called out in the system safety plan.
- Work with the GM and/or supplier project manager to identify resources to execute the safety tasks called out in the plan as needed.
- Review supplier safety process deliverables and help guide supplier on GM safety process and safety requirements as required
- Lead informal team reviews and formal Safety Peer Reviews for safety process work products and involve the assigned Senior System Safety Engineer as needed.
- Participate in safety strategy design discussions and help ensure that the safety requirements will be adequately met.
- Assist in resolving conflicts concerning safety requirements within the product engineering team and involve the assigned Senior System Safety Engineer as needed.
- Identify cross-functional, cross-organizational gaps and issues and notify the assigned Senior System Safety Engineer as needed.
- Escalate unresolved safety related issues and confirm that the issue resolution process has been followed.
- Support the Senior System Safety Engineer with the System Safety Process SOR and the Development Interface Agreement with the supplier.
- Coach product engineering team, providing safety process-specific knowledge, consulting senior safety engineers as needed:
- Explain the safety process, as needed.
- Guide on access and usage of templates, training resources, and best practices.
Identify product programs that require safety engineering process to be followed and bring it to the attention of the Management and the Safety Critical Embedded Control (SCEC) Global Sub System Leadership Team (GSSLT).
Support safety process improvement.
Interface with Senior System Safety Engineer, corporate and industry experts to stay current in safety processes, methods and tools.
- Document safety best practices implemented by the product team for reuse by other product teams.
- Identify improvements to safety processes, methods and tools and communicate to the appropriate workgroups within the Safety Critical Embedded Control GSSLT.
- Participate in supplier assessments regarding functional safety process capability and performance.
Identify improvements needed in the supplier qualification process and GM Supplier interactions.
Participation in GM Corporate Initiatives:
Actively participate in functional safety related process development and decision bodies if needed.
- Participate in the SCEC GSSLT and/or workgroups as required.
- At least 5 years relevant work experience
- At least 5 years demonstrated technical knowledge and ability in relevant Engineering disciplines, e.g., Software, Vehicle Dynamics, Materials, Thermal Dynamics, EMC, Control, Theory, etc.)
- Strong understanding of major automotive subsystems.
- Experience with executing similar safety cases within GM, other OEMs or similar industry.
- Expert knowledge and experience with IEC 61508 and/or ISO 26262 (FDIS).
- Domain (Chassis and/or Active Safety) expertise in embedded controller system design for automotive or similar industry.
- Expertise in serial communications between embedded controllers.
- Hands-on experience with DFMEAs and other analysis tools and techniques.
- Proficient in qualitative and quantitative Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) process using industry common tools.
- Knowledge in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint – Intermediate level.
- Knowledge with Outlook or other email communication tool – Intermediate level.
- Good interpersonal skills involving ability to work effectively cross-functionally and cross-culturally.
- Good written and oral communication skills necessary for meetings and presentations.
- Ability to work well with others, exhibiting teamwork skills.
- Expert knowledge of design, development and test engineering, manufacturing processes, assembly operations and Central Office functions
- Relevant auto industry experience required.
- Areas of expertise include: Testing, Design, Analysis.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or equivalent experience (Required)
- Master Degree in Engineering with background in embedded controllers (Preferred)
- DFSS Black Belt
- Experience or knowledge of relevant tools, e.g., NX(UG), Matlab, Simulink, Rhapsody, IBM Change Synergy, IBM Rational Team Concert, etc.)