General Motors Sr. Java Developer - INF0017875 in Warren, Michigan
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
About the General Motors Product Development IT Team:
GM IT is geared toward meeting and exceeding the goals and aspirations of our customers. The GM IT Team is focused on creating an exciting environment that not only motivates, but challenges technically adept professionals. We’re building on our momentum and we’re changing the way we do things. We’re shifting our focus from running the business to advancing innovation.
The Global Product Development-IT team develops and deploys the tools used by engineers around the globe to design and build the world’s best vehicles. Members of this team include industry-leading developers, architects, and designers who use various innovative development methodologies and technologies to successfully deliver solutions, drive business results, and increase customer satisfaction.
About this role:
TheSenior Java Developer is responsible for developing software applications using sound, repeatable, industry best practices and in accordance with GM's software development project methodology. TheSenior JavaDeveloperwill work hands-on writing code based on detailed requirements and system specifications. Developers may specialize in a particular software package or coding language. Development activities will include updating existing software and/or developing new programs to address a specific need or solve a particular business problem. This role will contribute to all development activities in accordance with appropriate methodologies (e.g. Agile, Incremental, Spiral...), application of a repeatable, systematic and quantifiable approach to the development process.
- Full lifecycle application development using standard frameworks and coding standards/patterns
- Coding, unit testing and debugging applications in various software languages
- Software testing and quality assurance
- Performance tuning, improvement, balancing, usability, automation
- Document software code and ensure that technical documentation i.e. configuration guides, install guides meet requirements
- Integrate software with existing systems
- Maintain standards compliance
- Implement localization or globalization of software
- Proactively engage in the remediation of software issues related to code quality, security, and/or pattern/frameworks. Provides guidance and coaching to associate software developers
- Automates testing processes by developing unit test scripts as part of coding
- Develops technical specifications for COTS software and configures various products based on specifications. Interacts with COTS supplier technical teams to identify configuration requirements
- Ensure development artifacts are in alignment with patterns/ frameworks designed by software engineering teams
- Bachelor's degree in technical discipline preferred or equivalent experience required.
- 5-7 years in the business environment
- 1-3 years’ experience Java, Java Script or ExtJs
- Expert knowledge of maintaining and debugging live software systems
- Expert knowledge of writing program documentation
- In-depth technical knowledge of the current hardware
- Expert knowledge of used operating systems
- Expert knowledge of standard development tools
- Expert knowledge of networking technologies from the programmers prospective
- Providing advice, training and technical support for various projects
- Experience and ability to teach or instruct co-workers
- Possess excellent communication skills, with an emphasis on verbal and written communication
- Ability to optimize the performance of code
- Ability to document deliverables
- Ability to perform a FMEA
- Understands code quality analysis results and remediation mechanisms
- Understands security risks for applications and code remediation techniques
Expertise in at least one area and knowledge from at least two areas:
- Microsoft: ASP.NET/VB.NET/C#/VC++/MFC, Microsoft Dynamics, Sharepoint
- Mainframe: COBOL, Mainframe, IMS
- Frameworks: Struts, Spring, .NET, Jquery, ExtJS
- Databases: Oracle, SQL Server, DB2,PL/SQL Programming, Stored Procedure Development, Performance Tuning, Data warehouses/ETL tools
- NoSQL : Hadoop, Casandra
- Web Application Servers: WebSphere, WebLogic, TomCat, IIS
- Other: Business Intelligence, Mobile Development, Oracle SOA, SAP, Peoplesoft, Teamcenter/NX
- Development Environments: Eclipse, Jdeveloper, Visual Studio
- Major Standards: AJAX, JSON
- OS: Linux, UNIX, Android, iOS
- Tools: QC/ALM, Performance Center, QTP, Selenium, Subversion, Rally, Teamforge, Rational suite, Hudson/Jenkins, Sonar
- Methodologies: Agile, Spiral, Waterfall, Iterative
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest information technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry.
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging growth oriented positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on innovation, speed, and business value.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.