General Motors Serial Data Systems Engineer - ENG0032440 in Warren, Michigan
General Motors is positioned to bean industry leader in the growing arena of autonomous vehicles. The technologyinvolved in bringing these vehicles to market is extensive and GM is lookingfor creative and intelligent team members who want to help shape the future.
Controller Area Networks (CAN) area staple of modern automotive electrical design but their use in autonomousvehicles requires a higher level of integration. These networks are beingdesigned to connect with other communication networks and the many softwarecomponents involved in bringing autonomous vehicles to life. GM is looking forthe right candidate to become part of a fast-moving electrical architectureteam which is responsible for leading the communication strategies inautonomous vehicles.
The Serial Data Systems Engineer isresponsible for being an expert in the area of CAN serial data communicationand working with other engineers across all phases of development. They will:
·-Generate and publish specifications for both internal and externalusers
·-Work with content owners to define functional requirements thatwill be deployed in a CAN environment
·Support content owners with training and general support
·Support DRE’s with supplier reviews
·Lead and/or support troubleshooting of issues on benches andvehicles
·Participate in reviews to ensure requirements and guidelines arebeing met
·Work with other team members to define communication details
·Travel as required
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
- Bachelors of Electrical, Computer, or Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- High level of interpersonal communication skills (written and oral).
- Able to work independently with high degree of initiative
- Understanding of CAN communication systems
- Understanding of software/hardware design and their failure modes
- Understanding of engineering theory and operation principles of mechanical/electrical mechanisms
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult
- Knowledge of computer software as it pertains to engineering
Preferred Skills :
- Masters of Electrical, Computer, or Software Engineering
- 5 years of automotive experience
- Knowledge and experience with serial data communication protocols
- Experience using network design tools for defining CAN communication (e.g. Vector CANdb++ / PREEvision, Mentor Volcano, etc.)
- Knowledge of AUTOSAR software concepts and implementation
- In-depth knowledge of requirements engineering process (FMEA, Preliminary Hazard analysis)
- DFSS training
- Knowledge of vehicle electrical systems
- Knowledge and experience with serial data test tools and oscilloscopes
- Proven history of troubleshooting capability utilizing serial data tools like CANoe, Vehicle Spy, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of design, development, and test engineering, manufacturing, and assembly operations, engineering processes, and procedures