General Motors Senior Software Engineer- Infotainment Middleware - ENG0028576 in Warren, Michigan
General Purpose of Position
Development of the platform middle ware for GM Infotainment products. This is the core platform upon which multiple applications and services will run. This role will utilize any prior platform build experience that involves third-party interfacing for the purpose of creating an application ecosystem.
Major Duties/ Responsibilities
- Contribute as designer and developer for building a platform upon which other applications can run.
- System design, development, deployment, and maintenance of the core middleware platform underlying the infotainment application framework and other components.
- Design a best-in-class in-vehicle platform for GM infotainment systems.
- Work with the building blocks provided by the selected platform provider to create solutions for application services. For example: power management, fault management, system logging, scalable localization, user personalization, application update, UI integration, and application precedence.
- Deliver a mechanism for loading and unloading of applications.
- Work with software update and provisioning teams to deliver user and configuration data services.
- Participate in the development of requirements, innovative subsystem and system level designs as well as production software.
- Performs design reviews.
- Software platform development experience
- Minimum of 5 years of software development experience in POSIX, QNX, or Linux OS environments
- Donstrated performance in a position requiring both high creativity and engineering technical excellence
- History of success in applying advanced technology to enhance usability of complex systems
- Strong evidence of career performance excellence in position of ever increasing levels of responsibility and challenge
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively in a geographically dispersed team
- Strong understanding of Microsoft Office applications
- Experience in developing automotive infotainment solutions highly desired
- Experience with Android, iOS, BlackBerry or Windows Mobile based development highly desired
- Experience in automotive and/or portable consumer electronic devices very highly desired
- Embedded experience in designing power states and system transitioning through power modes, preserving critical system data, and managing energy usage
- Develop a system fault management scheme that includes heartbeat protocols, hangman timers, process monitoring and restart, error recovery, fault tracking, and system reset.
- Experience in developing and deploying products in global markets
- System-wide triage experience
- Experience with scalable Debug/Logging/Usage Tracking Services.
- Work with localization infrastructure for global products.
- Development experience with managing personalization - user data and preferences
- Experience with SCM tools, ClearCase, Subversion, GIT, JIRA
- Eclipse IDE
- BSE, BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent training
- Ability to Learn
- Problem Solving Skills
- Strong Functional / Technical Skills
- Intellectual Horsepower
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.
Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.