General Motors Senior Process Engineer (Robotics Lead) - MFE0003592 in Warren, Michigan
About Us: At the new General Motors, we are passionate about designing, building and selling the world’s best vehicles. This vision unites us as a team each and every day and is the hallmark of our customer-driven culture. Making the world’s best vehicles can only happen with the world’s greatest employees. GM is in the process of reinventing our industry with innovative products like the Chevy Volt and OnStar. Our 202,000 employees work in 158 facilities touching six continents, they speak more than 50 languages and touch 23 time zones. From designing and engineering state-of-the-art plants and developing new vehicles and technologies to creating new marketing programs, our team members are valued for their unique contributions. We are seeking individuals who are looking to make a difference in one of the world’s most iconic companies.
Job Summary: The career level Robotics engineer is responsible for supporting daily plant operations and projects. Work is performed in an assembly/plant activity where a considerable amount of creativity and initiative is exercised as well as a high level of independent judgment. The positionwill beresponsible for all plant robotic control systems and documentation.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Project implementation/execution (SOR prep, forecasting, controls/robotics design,equipment build/run-off and buyoff)
- Manage Robot deliveries to meet program timing milestones
- Quality and thru-put improvement
- Support daily plant operations during the launch phase (robot programming and troubleshooting)
- Communicate effectively and work collaboratively with plant engineers and skill trades
- Provide technical direction to less experienced controls/Robotics engineers and skill trades.
- Design and troubleshooting of electrical controls/Robotics and vision systems
- Coordinate with engineering and maintenance on existing machine control modifications to robotic, electrical, electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic and vision systems
- Create, maintain and keep current all hard copies and electronic data bases: all electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic schematics; panel layouts; PLC, operator display, operator interface, and robot programs; machine power distribution and all related vendor controls component part documentation
- Travel as required
Basic Skills – Required (10+ years of experience as a controls/robotics engineer)
- Strong technical knowledge of electrical/control systems and the ability to apply these concepts within a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated basic understanding of mechanical concepts involving machine designs, process requirements involved in the manufacturing process
- Experience in Fanuc robots setup, programming and troubleshooting
- Demonstrated Excellent level of analytical ability, communication and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with team members to solve problems and resolve issues.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple challenging projects and assignments with high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Demonstrates initiative by reaching beyond work assigned to improve output and/or help others
- Proven ability in project management skills
- Multiple different manufacturing controls and/or robotics assignments with successful individual achievements
- Complete knowledge of and ability to use RS Logix Ethernet, Device Net, Control Net and remote I/O communications protocol
- Complete understanding and ability to use Excel, Word, Access, Acad 2000 or Acad 2000LT, and all related computer software for machine programming, backup and monitoring
- Knowledge of continuous improvement processes.
- Knowledge of Competititve Manufacturing Strategies.
- Self –motivated and ability to multitask
- Demonstrated understanding of plant floor work
- General knowledge of controls and pneumatics is a plus
- Understanding of GMS and 4 walls within the site or program
- Prior work experience as a Robot engineer in the automotive field
- Robots: GE Fanuc 420S, GE Fanuc LR Mate
- Fanuc Vision
- CAD Systems: AutoCAD 2007
- Bachelor’s degree with major in engineering or equivalent experience/training.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.