General Motors Senior Hadoop / Big Data Platfom Engineer - INF0017980 in Warren, Michigan
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP NOW OR IN THE FUTURE TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Location: Warren, MI / Chandler, AZ / Austin, TX
About this role:
The position available is within the General Motors’ (GM) Information Technology (IT) Global Infrastructure Hyper-Scale Platform Services team. This team is responsible for providing a reliable, scalable and secure Hyper-Scale platform to supportapplication deployments. This role will be primarily for design and build Hadoop infrastructure components to support various Big Data projects in GM.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience/training
- At least 10+ years’ experience in related IT fields
- Previous demonstrated proficiency in core Hadoop technologies (i.e. Hadoop, Map-Reduce, Hive, Pig, Oozie, HDFS, Spark etc .)
- Experience managing large scale infrastructure for data-intensive applications
- Knowledge of programming technologies, such as Python, Ruby, and shell script
- At least 5+ years’ experience with enterprise server environments on complex corporate TCP/IP networks
- Knowledge of HP and Dell hardware
- Experienced in performing a variety of complicated tasks
- Excellent documentation skills and procedural development capabilities are a core requirement
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, manage both in plan and out of plan requirements
- Ability to communicate and market personal and team achievements, manage conflict and escalations
- Ability to collaborate with key stakeholders including architects, software engineering, and project managers to report out development progress and escalates issues requiring attention
- Knowledge of Chef and other automation tools
- Cross team agility and strong team work ethic
- Good knowledge of Oracle Linux/Red Hat Linux, and/or SUSE Linux
- Good knowledge of clustering technologies
- Good understanding of network communication and demonstrated troubleshooting techniques
- Experience with other open source technologies
- Experience with large database implementations
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest information technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry. GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging growth oriented positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on innovation, speed, and business value.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.