General Motors Materials Engineer Non Fab Steel & Aluminum - ENG0031418 in Warren, Michigan
Supplier Quality and Development Engineer – Non Fabricated Sheet Metal
( Sheet Metal Quality Engineering , Formability, Manufacturing, Die and/or Body Assembly Manufacturing Engineering or Product (Body) Engineering Experience)
At General Motors, we’re building on our recent momentum and we’re changing the way we do business. We are recruiting talented individuals from the nation’s top universities, Fortune 100 companies, and other highly technical automotive / non-automotive organizations.
Now in our second century, we are seeking the next generation of “game-changers” – those who can usher in a new era of automotive innovation and creative thought. Are you energetic? Are you highly motivated? Do you have a natural curiosity to solve problems and improve the greater team? If so, take a look at the opportunity below!
About the Supplier Quality and Development Engineer role:
The Supplier Quality and Development Engineer will be the “UP Front” quality system and technical liaison between GM engineering, GM internal manufacturing, purchasing, and our sheet metal supply base. In this role, the Supplier Quality and Development Engineer will work with Tier 1, GM Stamping facilities, sheet metal processors, and the sheet metal suppliers to resolve manufacturing issues usage and applications of aluminum and steel sheet metal in stamping applications, Knowledge of TS16949 quality systems and the application throughout the supply base is a critical part of the role.
The Supplier Quality and Development Engineer will be responsible for:
- Specific sheet metal manufacturing (steel and aluminum mills) and processing locations (metal slitters, blankers, and warehouses) quality performance tracking and problem resolution
- Assist in developing manufacturing criteria and assessments for all complex parts and assemblies purchased from our suppliers
- Review and assess material specifications to ensure availability and accepted quality levels
- Provide technical and problem solving support throughout the sheet metal development process and current serial production.
- Assuring supplier understanding and compliance with APQP processes and actively participates in DFMEA/PFMEA and Supplier readiness reviews
- Reviewing and approving supplier manufacturing, tooling, timing and quality plans for new sheet metal component parts and assemblies.
- Reviewing supplier manufacturing tooling, processes and quality systems.
- Determining root cause of supplier manufacturing problems and implementing timely, effective, and efficient quality resolutions.
- Improving quality performance of suppliers by conducting onsite workshops and audits at supplier locations, providing technical assistance in developing robust manufacturing and quality systems, or other technical support as required.
- Providing technical assistance during supplier launch, change-over and ongoing production activities.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- 5 years or more experience in sheet metal production, processing, or technical support to stamping and roll forming end users.
- Understanding of Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS) mechanical and chemical properties and their effect on forming, springback and part dimensional quality.
- Fundamental understanding of steelmaking and aluminum casting with subsequent rolling of the sheet metal.
- Three to five years’experience in automotive sheet metal quality, manufacturing, die, metal assembly manufacturing or product engineering.
- Knowledge of automotive quality systems and corrective action process such as GM GP-5.
- Demonstrated knowledge of manufacturing and assembly plant processes, procedures, tooling, equipment and facilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of probability, statistical quality control and design of experiments.
- Demonstrated ability to investigate quality problems and to apply sound technical judgment to develop potential solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and lead diverse cross functional teams simultaneously.
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with others.
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Ability to travel as necessary throughout North America
- Ten years of experience in problem solving of sheet metal forming and processing issues
- Formability analysis of sheet metal stampings and assemblies
- Five years’ OEM or Tier 1 experience in automotive body sheet metal stamping and/or metal assembly quality, manufacturing, die, body assembly manufacturing or product engineering.
Demonstrated experience and capability in any of the following areas:
Manufacturing Quality Systems.
- Quality Systems (APQP)
- PFMEA and Control plans
- Lean Manufacturing.
- Statistical Problem Solving (Red X, DFSS).
- Product (Body) Engineering.
Education and Training
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (materials, metallurgical, chemical, or mechanical) or equivalent technical experience
- Technical and ASQ Quality Certifications are a plus
- Master’s degree in Business or Engineering is a plus