General Motors Linux Client Engineer - INF0018797 in Warren, Michigan
GM EMPLOYEES - PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOUR TALEO PROFILE HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH YOUR GM EMAIL ADDRESS BEFORE YOU APPLY!
About the Team:
The Client Solutions team delivers industry leading, best-in-class client solutions that enable the business, drive innovation, simplify operations, provide robust security and reduce structural costs. The Client Solutions team is responsible for design, engineering, and packaging across all client computing environments, including hardware, peripherals, operating systems and the core applications available to all employees which covers more than 150,000 end user devices. Those devices are the user’s gateway into the entire GM IT infrastructure world-wide. Whether it is the CEO of GM, the engineers that design, build, and test vehicles, or the OnStar Advisor that delivers emergency services to OnStar subscribers, our devices touch everyone in GM.
About the Role:
A Client Linux Engineer works in the area of Linux builds and Linux engineering with products like Ubuntu and associated management tools. Linux desktops are used in the engineering of solutions used by our business around the globe. Use of this technology is being expanded and skilled engineers are needed to engineer, test and deploy the new solutions.
- Engineer, test and deploy new client images.
- Engineer, test and deploy new application packages.
- Provide level 3 operational support for Linux builds.
- Engineer, test and deploy automation scripts for Linux builds and applications.
- Performing Root cause analysis for the application packaging, distribution and Linux build issues.
- Engineer, test and deploy drivers for Linux devices.
- Coordinate with hardware vendors on drivers and device performance with Ubuntu Desktop.
- 5+ years information technology experience in a large scale commercial enterprise.
- Career track record of engineering, developing (coding), deploying and maintaining business critical information technology solutions.
- Advanced skill level with Ubuntu Desktop to engineer, test and deploy client solutions.
Knowledge and Proficiency in some of the following products/technologies:
* Enterprise-wide client distribution/Management tools (i.e. SCCM, SCOM) >* 5 years Ubuntu Experience >* 5 years Microsoft Office Experience >* 5 years client build automation experience. >* Network: LAN/WAN/CAN/Wi-Fi/RF
Application packaging, deployment and troubleshooting for Ubuntu Desktops.
Why General Motors?
AtGM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell theworld’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing oneof the largest information technology transformations in the history of theautomotive industry. GM IT is a leaderin cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-CriticalBusiness Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing.We offer challenging growth oriented positions for passionate professionalslooking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that isre-inventing IT with a laser focus on innovation, speed, and business value.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.