General Motors Lead Infotainment Component Development Engineer - ENG0030407 in Warren, Michigan
The Lead Infotainment Component Development Engineer is responsible for the planning and execution of infotainment test programs; leading suppliers that are contracted to test infotainment components; and designing and integrating infotainment specialty cabling into vehicle wiring harnesses. Exercises a high level of independent judgment. Provides technical and logistical direction to engineering support personnel, and leadership to suppliers.
- Plans, develops, and implements test programs to develop automotive infotainment features and functions
- Determines schedules and deliverables for suppliers contracted to test infotainment components
- Directs the ongoing test activities of suppliers contracted to test infotainment components
- Provides feedback and documentation on issues found in test programs
- Coordinates communication between component suppliers and test providers
- Coordinates the acquisition and delivery of infotainment components to various development and validation teams
- Supports pre-production and production build activities and vehicle ride trips as required
- Develops routings of infotainment specialty cables
- Acquires infotainment specialty cables for mule vehicle builds
- Works with the wiring team to integrate infotainment specialty cables into the vehicle wiring harnesses
- Plans and directs software and hardware updates to test properties
- Supports Captured Test Fleet software updates as necessary
- Supports the build of test bench properties
- Supports the build of engineering development vehicles
- Communicates, coordinates, and consults with other engineering departments
- Participates in PDT meetings
- Provides direction to other engineering personnel
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 2 years of automotive electrical/electronics/software engineering experience
- Working knowledge of vehicle serial data communications (CAN, GMLAN, LIN, ETHERNET)
- In-depth knowledge of requirements engineering process (FMEA, DFSS)
- In-depth knowledge of verification and validation processed (component-, bench-, vehicle-level)
- Working knowledge of embedded software development and testing
- Understanding of hardware design and failure modes
- Understanding of vehicle safety requirements (e.g., FMVSS, etc.)
- Results driven individual with high levels of initiative and proactivity
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- Exhibits appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with Global business partners to meet mutual goals
- High level analytical ability where problems are unusual and complex
- Demonstrated technical and professional skills in job-related area
- Demonstrates creativity and initiative as well as a high level of independent judgment.
Preferred Skills and Experience
2+ years experience working with current automotive infotainment systems includingNavigation, GPS, Bluetooth, USB, Speech Recognition, Microphones, Hands-free Processing and Audio Management, Displays and HMI, Camera and Video Management, AM/FM/XM Receivers/Tuners, Internet Apps, incl. Internet Radio, Media Players, Text to Speech, System and Power Management, Phone, Data Carrier, and Data Downloads
Education and Training
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering in one of the following disciplines: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Computer Science, Aeronautical Engineering.
- Thisposition requires the ability to legally operate a motor vehicle on a regularbasis
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.
Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.