General Motors Facilities Electrical Engineer - FAC0000365 in Warren, Michigan
General Motors (NYSE: GM, TSX: GMM) is a globally renowned mobility technology company with roots tracing back to 1908. Today, with 215,000+ employees spread across 396 facilities in more than 100 countries around the globe, GM offers exciting careers designing, engineering and building some of the world’s most advanced vehicles and personal mobility solutions.
Our culture is centered on being Made For More. It’s a concept reflecting our constant pursuit and confident expectation for more out of life—for our company, for our planet, for our customers, and for ourselves. Because our work goes beyond making cars; it’s about allowing people greater access to and more meaningful interactions with the world around them.
As state-of-the-art technologies continue to transform the automotive industry, GM is committed to maintaining its position as an industry leader and establishing its innovative vision for the future of transportation. Learn more athttp://careers.gm.com.
Mission: Design, build and sell the world's best vehicles.
Facilities Electrical Engineer
- Lead multiple concurrent projects as the assigned project electrical engineer for Greenfield and Brownfield construction projects.
- Actively participate in the planning, estimating, and development of facilities scope of work for primary and secondary electrical systems, and controls for future construction projects and corporate initiatives.
- Develop criteria and scope to direct and oversee facility electrical and controls system design activities for medium and low voltage distribution systems on major Greenfield/Brownfield construction projects.
- Lead and coordinate electrical stakeholders during the development of electrical and controls scope of work, owner design review sessions, and construction bid package development and award.
- Develop facility load study criteria for the collection of existing state conditions and future state requirements. Oversee the execution of data collection and the analysis process.
- Develop and maintain corporate standards, guidelines, common systems, and best practices to support continuous improvement of the facility electrical and controls systems through innovation, life cycle cost, and value engineering analysis.
- Seek new technology applications and creative methods for accomplishing corporate objectives.
- Provide technical consultation, electrical code interpretations, and regulatory analysis of existing facility electrical systems, and recommend solutions to GM Plants and Divisional staff members.
- Conduct new material and systems assessments to drive cost savings and the continuous improvements process for the GM Global Facilities electrical common systems and specifications.
- Ensure that installed construction work is in compliance with electrical codes, project plans, and specifications.
- Frequent travel, including occasional international travel to GM Facilities, project sites, and Engineering Consultant offices.
- Represent GM Global Facilities on industry/professional and corporate committees and organizations.
Basic Qualifications and Skills;
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of facility primary and secondary electrical systems design, NFPA codes and specifications.
- Minimum 5 years facility electrical design experience in both primary and secondary power distribution systems, and controls.
- Experience with the design and engineering analysis of complex electrical systems and issues.
- Experience supervising engineering firms during the design, bid document development, and construction phases of major projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with others.
- Demonstrated ability to manage numerous issues while working on multiple projects simultaneously, utilizing a high level of analytical ability to resolve issues.
- Demonstrated team leadership and construction project management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally and globally, utilizing a high level of interpersonal skills, planning, and organizational abilities to work effectively with others.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in databases, and MS-Office products such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Expedition software.
- Experience with 3D facility design software.
- Ability in preparing status reports, reading and interpretation of codes, specifications and drawings, verifying contractor work, and scheduling.
- Strategic thinker and self-starter.
- Must have the ability to analyze systems, processes, and industry trends in order to recommend changes that benefit the Global Facilities organization and GM.
- Demonstrates initiative and high level of independent judgment.
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally.
- Exhibit professional demeanor while working with GM Business partners, consultants, contractors, and suppliers.
Education and Training;
1.BS Electrical Engineering (MS Preferred)
2.Licensed Professional Electrical Engineer
3.Minimum 5 years, preferred 10 years of design experience in industrial electrical distribution systems for both medium/low voltage systems, and controls.