General Motors Exterior Lighting Systems Engineer - ENG0029571 in Warren, Michigan
The System Engineer (SE) is a recognized subject matter expert in his/her domain responsible for function and definition of feature content to meet performance requirements and the creation of detailed end to end systems design requirements for technical implementation of features/functions. The SE must comprehend interfaces and interactions between in-vehicle systems, consumer inputs, GM back office and other cloud service environments, at a minimum and as applicable to the features/ functions. The SE will interact across organizations to ensure features/functions are integrated effectively into the vehicle/end to end system and with the suppliers to implement new features/functions.
This SE position is within the Vision and Visibility subdomain and will require knowledge of automotive exterior lighting systems and/or vehicle controls integration, at a minimum.
Major Duties/ Responsibilities
- Develop and champion System Technical Specifications (STS) requirements and inside of the DOORS environment.
- Participate with, or in some cases lead, cross functional development team (Feature Owners, Systems Engineers, and other key stakeholders) discussions.
- Support documentation of Feature Performance Requirements.
- Work with System Integration Engineers to verify feature selection compatibility to advanced part lists during the early vehicle design phase.
- Lead or support Advance Technical Work (ATW) projects for the development of new features and technologies.
- Lead effort to generate System level DFMEA and the allocation of identified failure modes to execution teams.
- Ensure System development follows System Safety Process by identifying hazards and providing regulatory assessments for the related domain.
- Allocate System Level requirements to appropriate systems and support system design efforts to ensure that requirements are met.
- Define Interface Control Documents (ICD) and work with System Integration Engineers to assure ICD compliance.
- Support the resolution of current product feature regulatory, compliance, and customer satisfaction issues (including PRTS, ESIMS, and SUFS) related to domain features and systems.
- Act as primary interface between the Viewing Systems Engineering organization and the multitude of GSSLTs impacted for assigned systems.
- Work with SE in other domains to ensure proper integration.
- Support Validation & Verification efforts for assigned systems.
- Provide technical support throughout all phases of the GVDP to ensure robust program execution and performance.
- Keep abreast of industry trends, technologies, and best practices
- Provide technical guidance and application lessons learned to Feature Owners, System Integration Engineers, and other System Engineers.
- Manage feature implementation, including managing virtual reviews, design reviews, peer reviews, and management reviews with appropriate engineering teams and including the Feature Owner and System Engineer.
- Assess feature performance, as required, in order to support implementation.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, call 866-583-8151 or email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
- Understanding of relevant technologies including automotive exterior lighting hardware and/or controls or solid experience with vehicle controls architecture and integration . Additional familiarity with wiper-washer, camera based vehicle viewing, video, video recording systems, and/or interior lighting is a plus.
- Ability to effectively communicate issues, status and recommendations to senior management.
- High level of oral and written communication skill.
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with others.
- Strong understanding of major automotive subsystems.
- Demonstrated excellent level of analytical ability, communication and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with team members and customers to solve problems and resolve issues.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and the most complex projects and assignments with the highest level of autonomy and accountability for results.
- Demonstrates initiative by reaching beyond work assigned to improve output and/or help others.
- Proven ability in project management skills and ability to teach others.
- Three or more years of experience in job-related area.
- Candidate should have one of the following engineering degrees: BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Chemistry, Metallurgical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Aeronautical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Physics, Materials Engineering, Systems Engineering
- Master's Degree in Engineering (Preferred)
- Experience with the development of automotive subsystems, and/or components(Highly Preferred)
- Design for Six Sigma experience (Green Belt Certification) (Preferred)
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Functional / Technical Skills
- Peer Relationships
- Innovation Management
- Intellectual Horsepower
- Problem Solving
- Motivating Others
- Managerial Courage
- Drive for Results