General Motors Design Release Engineer – Chassis Electronics - ENG0032383 in Warren, Michigan
Autonomous Design Release Engineer - Chassis Electronics
At General Motors, we’re building on our momentum and we’re changing the way we do things. We’re recruiting more talent from the nation’s top universities and Fortune 100 companies. We translate breakthrough technologies into vehicles and experiences that people love.
We are seeking experienced, motivated engineers to support the industry-leading autonomous vehicle program. We’re committed to enhancing the product – with new features, new materials, and new technologies. To do this, we need forward-looking, innovative engineers who can help shape the future of the autonomous vehicle customer experience.
The ideal candidate is one who desires to build their technical depth as an engineer within an automotive mechanical electrical component.
This candidate possesses exemplary communication, project management skills, and is a passionate, hard-working person who enjoys taking on challenges and following through with robust solutions.
Opportunity for an experienced engineer to become a Design Release Engineer (DRE) in the Chassis Electronics and Controls organization and be responsible for a vehicle dynamic motion sensing electronic module.
The candidate will be responsible for specifying requirements, execution and evaluation of designs, analysis, development, testing and control of major engineering projects where creativity and initiative are involved as well as a high level of independent judgment. Exercises technical direction over other engineers or engineering support personnel (i.e. supplier residents). Gathers, specifies, and balances system requirements to engineer component and subsystem level solutions to meet vehicle program imperatives.
- Generates technical solutions for current, new, and major programs
- Provides technical leadership for advanced technology development
- Performs complex design analysis
- Implement engineering changes
- Identifies, tracks, and resolves engineering issues
- Plans and implements test and/or development programs
- Releases parts and subsystems for production
- Communicates, coordinates, and consults with engineering departments (i.e. Cybersecurity, Electrical Architecture, Functional Safety etc.), manufacturing, suppliers, and customers
- Stays abreast of new technology and competitive products
- Monitors performance through analyzing warranty data, investigating verbatim reports, and leading meetings for quality and reliability improvement
- Leads Product Development Team (PDT) for assigned components
- Travel as required
This position requires the ability to legally operate a motor vehicle on a regular basis.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.
Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of engineering theory and principles of operation of mechanical/electrical mechanisms
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with others
- Specific knowledge of engineering mechanics, physics, metallurgy and manufacturing methods engineering
- In-depth knowledge of vehicle serial data communications (i.e. CAN, GMLAN, & LIN)
- Knowledge of MEMS sensor IC design and / or manufacturing
- Experience with inertial sensing technology
- Knowledge of Ethernet bus hardware and software
- Knowledge of CAN bus hardware and software
- Knowledge of DOORS Requirements Management System
- Knowledge of AutoSar based ECU software design.
- Demonstrated technical and professional skills in job-related area required
- Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with business partners to meet mutual goals required
- Knowledge of computer software as it pertains to engineering (preferred)
- Cross functional interface/work experience (preferred)
- Must be capable of providing component specific direction to new engineers and suppler resident engineers
- Minimum 10 years of experience in applying microprocessor based controllers to automotive vehicle electrical systems and releasing parts.
- Knowledge of microcontroller architectures, memory technologies, and programming
- Knowledge of vehicle dynamics and electronic chassis systems
- Knowledge of OBD-II Diagnostics and Functional Safety
- High level understanding of hardware design and failure modes in electronic modules
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing and comprehending software/hardware requirements
- High level knowledge of software verification/validation processes
- Bachelor Degree in one of the following areas: Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- DFSS Green Belt. DFSS Black Belt (preferred)
- Excellent problem solving skills involving complex systems
- Experience in the GM product release and specification process
- Experience with customer interface technologies