Indian Health Service Social Services Aid (Open Cont.) in Wakpala, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
5 vacancies in the following location:
- Wakpala, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 5/12/2016 (165 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (67 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-GP-1704281-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
This position is located at the Great Plains Area Youth Treatment Center (GPAYRTC) in Mobridge, South Dakota. GPAYRTC is a Federal facility and a smoke-free environment. GPAYRTC is an 18-bed residential facility that provides a multidisciplinary, multimodal (12 Steps, adventure based, traditional therapy oriented) program for Native American adolescents. Services are provided seven days a week. The incumbent will be required to work on any of the shifts to include day, evening, overnight, weekends, and holidays.
- Cultural Education/Therapeutic Activity Leader, creates lesson plans, curricula, and other cultural education groups for the patients.
- Provide guidance and education on daily living skills, social etiquette, personal health and hygiene to patients.
- Facility Support: will attend multidisciplinary meeting, provide updates about the treatment progress, behavioral or other issues that a resident may be having.
- Keeps documentation and daily log of all aspects of care including documenting behavior, bed checks, etc...
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional Travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
GS-4: Six months of general experience and six months of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-3 grade level.
General Experience: (l) Any type of work that demonstrates the applicant's ability to perform the work of the position, or (2) experience that provided a familiarity with the subject matter or processes of the broad subject area of the occupation.
Specialized Experience Examples of qualifying specialized experience include:
- Group leader in community or residential recreation or training programs.
- Counselor in a youth summer camp.
- Instructor in a training program for the development of job skills.
- Work that demonstrated the ability to be responsible for and to lead and train members of a job crew.
- Group activities leader in the Armed Services.
- Unit leader-monitor-proctor for a dormitory group in a boarding school or other residential facility.
- Aid or assistant to professional or specialist staff in such fields as personnel (private or government), employment guidance in a vocational or academic institution, social service, or manpower development.
- Aid or assistant to professional or associate staff engaged in work of a social services nature in private, public welfare, government program, or community organizations, or in voluntary activities.
- Aid or assistant to professional or specialist staff working with individuals who are addicted to or abuse alcohol and/or drugs.
Education For GS-4: Successful completion of 2 years of study that (a) included at least 12 semester hours of subjects directly related to the work of the position, or (b) was supplemented by experience in activities that afforded the opportunity to acquire and demonstrate the skills required by the position. (The supplementary experience may have been gained, for example, in part-time or summer employment, in volunteer social welfare or recreation programs, or in community organizations.)
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, December 30, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment incentive (may or may not) be authorized.
Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment. You may apply separately for each announcement if you want to be considered under each hiring plan.
Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $28,886.00 to $37,551.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0186-04/04
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: “ANY UNITED STATES CITIZEN”
Control Number: 438892700
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1704362-DE