DAI Senior/Principal/Senior Principal Global Practice Leader (11-13), Agriculture, Agribusiness and Food Security in United States
Job Title/Grade: Senior Global Practice Leader, Agriculture, Agribusiness and Food Security (11)
Principal Global Practice Leader, Agriculture, Agribusiness and Food Security (12)
Senior Principal Global Practice Leader, Agriculture, Agribusiness and Food Security (13)
Reports to: Sector Managing Director, Technical Services, Economic Growth
Department: Technical Services
Date: November 28, 2016
Function of the Position:
The Global Practice Leader has overall responsibility for the performance of a Global Practice for Agriculture, Agribusiness, and Food Security, a subsector of Economic Growth in Technical Services. The duties include articulating and executing a strategic vision for thought and technical leadership in the related areas of sector-focused agriculture, agribusiness, food security and related areas of economic growth. The Global Practice Leader will organize and supervise a team of in-house technical specialists from across the organization, augmented by groups of external technical experts and strategic partners, to provide technical support to DAI globally. The primary and foundational objective the practice leader must meet is to build on and advance DAI’s reputation as a thought leader in this technical area, establishing a “point of view” on where work in this field should go, informed by a rigorous evidence base and by practical experience. The global practice leader will be responsible for growing DAI’s market share for development services within the practice area, delivering superior technical support on projects and proposals in the USG and Europe Business Units, and building a network that connects DAI projects, staff, and clients. The Leader will collaborate with the other Global Practice Leaders in Technical Services to create a competitive advantage in delivering technical services to DAI’s donor, government, and corporate clients.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The following percentage time allocations are notional, and will be tailored based upon individual capacity in key areas and evolving company need.
Responsible for the overall quality of technical leadership and services of the Global Practice (GP). Primary responsibility for developing integrated technical solutions that leverage technical skills and capabilities in other GPs, in other parts of US Government (USG), and in DAI/Europe. Oversees an outreach and information dissemination plan which builds DAI’s technical reputation and competitive position through staff participation in conferences, seminars, social media, and the popular press. Promotes and supports technical staff to widely disseminate DAI’s development solutions through multiple venues, including social media, professional conferences, video, and public speaking engagements.
Leads the GP engagement with COPs and project teams to identify, adapt, and refine technologies, tools, and approaches that provide cost effective solutions for current projects, new business activities and new clients. Ensures the GP staff work closely with Delivery and DAI/Europe and Strategy and Marketing to capture technical achievements, lessons learned, and best practices to create growth in DAI’s client diversification strategy
Manages the “assets” required to establish DAI’s Global Practices, including DAI staff, associated experts, and strategic partners. Drives the active engagement of COPs and local staff in defining, developing, and marketing our technical solutions from a field-level perspective. Works directly with DAI/Europe offices to build technical excellence and encourages and promotes staff rotations from DAI/Bethesda (DAI/B) to DAI/Europe to build long-term relationships.
**Business Development and Growth (30%)__
In collaboration with Delivery, Business Development, and DAI/Europe, identifies technical capabilities and trends that guide annual new business plans and technical requirements for proposal support; participates in setting bidding priorities, in consultation with DAI/Europe, USG Delivery, and Business Development.
Overall responsibility for the Agriculture, Agribusiness, and Food Security Global Practice’s support to new business activities and for adjusting staffing roles and responsibilities as priorities shift. Identifies and allocates available technical staff in the development of proposal-specific business acquisition plans.
Leads the development of a multi-year, multi-client plan to expand DAI’s work in the Global Practice’s technical areas, focusing on products and services that address the needs of clients in local, national, regional, and international locations. Works closely with DAI/Europe to align DAI’s technical capabilities with private and public sector client needs in DAI/Europe’s markets.
Provides leadership in marketing the Global Practice’s portfolio and supports marketing and sales plans undertaken by DAI and Business Development. Oversees the marketing of DAI’s thought leadership specifically, building recognition of DAI’s capabilities, experiences, and results/impacts, by positioning DAI’s brand of quality and value. Responsible for building and growing strategic client relationships and serving as a senior technical point of contact with key clients.
**Staff and Talent Management (40%)__
Exercises overall responsibility for the performance of all HO and field staff engaged in a Global Practice. Responsible for ensuring the effective utilization of the GP staff on project, proposal, and special initiative teams throughout DAI. Ensures the career development of staff. Holds managers accountable for setting performance and development goals and providing consistent feedback for their employees. Participates in talent management processes to identify, develop, and retain high potential employees. Ensures staff has the required training and skills to successfully carry out their work. Responsible for meeting or exceeding the new business revenue and sales targets established with Delivery, Business Development, and DAI/Europe. Has overall responsibility in the Global Practice for: growth in sales; increased market share; and building a diversified client base. Encourages a work culture of excellence, integrity, and accountability.
- Grade 13: Minimum of 15 years of professional experience and a Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Economics, Business Administration, Finance, International Development/Agriculture OR 17 years of professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Economics, Business Administration, Finance, International Development/Agriculture.
- Grade 12: Minimum of 11 years of professional experience and a Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Business Administration, Finance, International Development/Agriculture OR 13 years of professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Economics, Business Administration, Finance, International Development/Agriculture..
- Grade 11: Minimum of 9 years of professional experience and a Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Economics, Business Administration, Finance, International Development/Agriculture OR 11 years of professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Economics, Business Administration, Finance, International Development/Agriculture.
Equivalent combination of education and/or experience will be considered.
- Has the ability to work effectively across technical areas, to develop technical approaches that integrate or leverage resources in different parts of the company.
- Possesses technical knowledge and project leadership as evidenced by results, publications, reports, and/or public presentations.
- Has a proven record of staff management, team building, talent development and the recruitment of strategic hires.
- Has demonstrated, related new business success with a range of clients, including USAID and/or other USG, International or private sector clients.
**Strongly Preferred Qualifications:__
- Demonstrated experience working with USAID and the Bureau of Agriculture and Food Security and “Feed the Future” programs will be considered a plus.
- French proficiency
**Supervisory Requirements:__ Supervises Global Practice Specialists
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. EOE - Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Location: North America
Location: Bethesda, Maryland
Job Code: 2886