Washington State Olympic Regional Administrator in Tumwater, Washington
NOTE: This recruitment will be open until filled. It is to the candidate's advantage to apply early. First round assessment will be conducted on October 26, 2016. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.
WSDOT is actively seeking an accomplished executive with exceptional and proven leadership skills and an engineering background to serve as the Olympic Regional Administrator in Tumwater, WA. The successful candidate will be responsible for customer-focused, cost-effective and timely delivery of transportation products and services. Internal to the department, this position provides the day-to-day leadership and management to the Olympic Region, systematically fostering a work environment of continuous improvement, transparency and accountability. This requires a strategic thinker with clear goals and performance objectives designed to encourage and reward behaviors leading to improved performance, quality and delivery of programs on time and within budget. Externally, this leader must be an effective ambassador and key player for the region and department on transportation issues. In this role, the incumbent must build coalitions, establish partnerships, create constituent support and influence public opinion on issues of vital importance locally and to the State of Washington as a whole.
This position will perform the following work:
- Determine the overall focus of the WSDOT Olympic Region programs, projects and positions.
- Determine and provide direction for the Region's transportation planning and budgeting efforts necessary to preserve and enhance the state-wide transportation system. This includes serving as a board member of various state and regional transportation planning organizations.
- Solve problems necessary to meet project, scope, budget and delivery timelines. Challenges often exist in the areas that involve dealing with coordination, legal, social, environmental, engineering and fiscal matters.
- Serve as an appointing authority – approve new hires, transfers, corrective/disciplinary actions, and establishment of positions in accordance with state personnel rules.
- Encourage career development for employees, provide leadership for the safety program, work to boost morale, coach, mentor and resolve personnel issues.
An ideal candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Washington (within 6 months of employment).
- Reputation for building trust and consensus, including facilitating competing interest groups/individuals in solving complex problems.
- Successful experience modeling leadership and performance characteristics that promote professionalism, integrity, accountability and public service.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex information to diverse technical and non-technical groups, legislators and the media.
- Track record of formulating, implementing and encouraging continuous improvements and change.
- The ability to translate strategic plans into details, goals and objectives.
- Strong foundation of professional transportation and civil engineering practices and standards, including environmental and highway design laws and regulations.
- A valid driver's license.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position you will need to send a resume and letter of interest to Matt Elam at Elamm@wsdot.wa.gov. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training, and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Matt Elamat (360) 705-7509 or email to Elamm@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 2016-EMS-007.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email at email@example.com.
Job Type: Exempt
Job Number: 2016-EMS-007
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $116,076.00 - $141,636.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA