Washington State Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Tumwater in Tumwater, Washington
* Chief Medical Officer DOC Headquarters in Tumwater, WA*
The Department of Corrections (DOC) Health Services Division is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic leader for the critical role of Chief Medical Officer- this position has the overall responsibility and authority for establishing, monitoring and ensuring high standards of clinical care & practice within the DOC Health Services Division.
DOC Health Services aims to meet high standards of correctional health care but also aspires to be a model of an integrated health care system in any setting. We are seeking an individual to lead this vision and help realize it in the role of Chief Medical Officer.
DOC operates 12 prison facilities located throughout the state. The DOC Health Services Division is responsible for meeting all health needs of offenders incarcerated in Washington State prison facilities. Comprehensive services include medical, dental, and mental health care.
Administered centrally from DOC headquarters in Tumwater, DOC Health Services has developed an increasingly integrated health care system with primary objectives of providing high-value, necessary health care to individual patients and ensuring optimum population health within the prison system. DOC Health Services is also recognized as an important partner in state public health efforts.
This is a full time position. The CMO position carries executive level responsibilities and performance expectations. The position requires travel as needed to fulfill duties of the position and meet requirements of the Health Services Division.
*This recruitment will remain open until an adequate pool of candidates is established. Application review will be ongoing, and therefore we encourage you to submit your application materials as soon as possible.
This position is responsible for providing leadership for the Health Services Division and in operational units, including:
- Lead and implement the clinical direction for the organization. Participates in establishing and ensuring adherence to DOC clinical policy and procedures, consistent with DOC's mission, statute, case law, policy and standards, strategic plan and organizational objectives.
- Serves as chair of the Department Coordinated Quality Improvement Program Statewide Committee.
- Represents the Department to Medical Quality Assurance Commission, other state agencies involved in health care, other correctional health care systems, medical education programs, community providers and professional organizations.
- Consults and coordinates with the Assistant Secretary of Health Services to assure adequate staffing, and in assessment- and maintenance of appropriate resources to support offender patient care and public health objectives.
- Monitors staff performance to assure compliance to clinical care and practice standards. Identifies and determines problems and opportunities for quality improvement of offender patient care.
- Supports and mentors Facility Medical Directors (FMDs) and serves as a backup for FMDs as needed.
- Consults with legal and risk management staff in managing tort claims, lawsuits and other legal challenges.
- Represents DOC Health Services in interagency matters. May include participation in the Washington State Health Technology Assessment Program.
- Helps to create and support a work environment that values high ethical standards, emphasizes safe, high quality health care, nurtures teamwork and encourages activities that lead to continuous improvement. Qualifications
The successful candidate will have:
- A Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) degree from an accredited institution.
- Valid unrestricted WA license to practice medicine in the State of Washington (or the ability to obtain prior to employment).
- 5 years' experience in direct clinical practice and administrative experience adequate to demonstrate aptitude for the CMO position.
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to communicate orally and in writing with a variety of individuals ranging from correctional administrators and staff, health care professionals, patient advocates, and other laypersons.
- Additional training, advanced degrees, and experience pertinent to the duties of the position are welcome.
*This position will be officed at the HQ administrative building in Tumwater but will be required to travel statewide for business meeting, trainings and will occasionally work within our adult prison facilities.
'The mission of DOC is to improve public safety.'
For additional information about the agency, please visit www.doc.wa.gov.
- Please include a minimum of three professional references with your application. A professional reference is defined as an individual who has been paid to supervise your work and can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job competencies. If you do not have any or sufficient professional references, please include non-related professionals, such as educators or other professional associates.
- All DOC employees are fingerprinted for a criminal history background check.
- Employees work with offenders in a potentially hazardous setting. Please consider this when deciding whether to apply.
- We are committed to maintaining a drug and alcohol free work environment, and our employees are expected to comply with all state and federal laws. A pre-employment drug test may be administered as part of the selection process, and applicants who test positive for any controlled substances, will be disqualified from consideration.
- Animal care projects are a common component of most Washington State prisons, including dog and cat programs. Applicants with animal sensitivities or allergies are encouraged to ask about the level of exposure they could expect in this position.
- Tuberculosis is a priority health issue for DOC employees. The successful candidate may be required to provide valid proof of a baseline TB skin test within 60 days from the date of hire. When positive tests result, further information, testing and treatment may also be required. Employment is not contingent upon test results.
We are committed to hiring individuals who possess core diversity competencies:
- Foster a positive attitude and openness toward the ever changing social and cultural makeup of the workplace.
- Work effectively with men and women of different perspectives, abilities, disabilities, races, religions, ages, lifestyle preferences and social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Respectfully acknowledge people's differences and recognize these differences as important and valuable.
- Promote inclusiveness.
- Be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Respect and value diverse backgrounds and traditions.
DOC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, honorably discharged veteran, veteran status, genetic information, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability.
For questions about this recruitment, or to request reasonable accommodation in the application process, please email email@example.com or call us at (360) 407-5742.
For TTY service, please call the Washington Relay Service at 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-CMO
Department: Dept. of Corrections
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA