Indian Health Service Community Health Nurse-(Tsaile)-ESEP/MP-Open Continuous in Tsaile, Arizona
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Tsaile, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Tuesday 2/2/2016 (268 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (65 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
Position/s located in the Service Unit Clinics or Hospitals with the Division of Community Health to assess, diagnose and investigates, identify outcomes, plans, implements and evaluates a comprehensive public health nursing program for an assigned area within Chinle PHS Hospital (Chinle Service Unit), Chinle, Arizona, or Pinon and Tsaile Health Clinics (Arizona). Position/s report to the Supervisory Community Health Nurse or Community Health Nursing Director and receives medical supervision from the physicians. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Direct Hiring procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-CH-1599444-DHA++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
- Plans, conducts and evaluates a comprehensive community health nursing program and assists the community in planning and evaluating a local health delivery system.
- Conducts epidemiological and community surveys, field investigations and research studies to appraise health needs.
- Assesses, diagnoses needs and sets up a plan of action to meet these needs by providing health services to communities, families and individuals
- Provides primary care for acute and chronic health problems
- Teaches recognition of early symptoms of communicable disease and the importance of immunizations
- Establishes and staffs immunization clinics as appropriate
- Maintains records and reporting systems according to HIS, Area and Service Unit policies for patients
- Works with the Tribal, State and County Health Agencies, Tribal Health Board and other community organizations in planning health related activities and performs other duties as assigned
- 75% or Greater
- Incumbent is required to travel to make home visits.
- Incumbent will be required to sign a one year service agreement.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Position requires positive education, transcripts required.
- Requires active current registration as a professional nurse.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Education: Degree from a professional nursing program. (In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following types of tasks Specialized Professional Community Health Nursing Experience is delivering health and nursing care to individuals, families, schools within communities using initiative, judgment in covering a range of nursing services through counseling, teaching and follow-up within established plans, policies and objectives of the agency and evaluating the effectiveness of the program, appraise the quality of nursing services delivered which impacts the health of individuals, families and communities. In addition to basic requirements, applicants must have 52 weeks of specialized professional community health nursing experience equivalent to the GS-5 to qualify for the GS 7; 52 weeks equivalent to the GS-7 to qualify for the GS-9; and 52 weeks equivalent to the GS-9 to qualify for the GS-11 Basic Requirements: Education: Degree from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant Applicants for Community Health Nurse positions must have graduated from a baccalaureate (or higher) degree program in nursing which included the study of community health nursing concepts. GS 7: Completion of a professional nursing program and 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 level. GS 9: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education or masters or equivalent degree or 1 years of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level GS 11: Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 level. Your education and work experience may be combined to meet the qualification requirements of this position
Licensure Requirement: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at : http://www.usphs.gov
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date of certificate of eligible was issued for this announcement.
A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement
This position is covered by the Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment incentive may be authorized.
Government housing available.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- This position works on a regularly assigned, rotation, or call back basis to provide continuity of medical services during evenings, nights, holidays, and weekends.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $52,514.00 to $84,624.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-07/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: All groups of qualified individuals
Control Number: 428427200
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-CH-1599440-ESEP/MP