United States Steel Director of Project Management Office in Troy, Michigan
Director of Project Management Office
Auto req ID7700BR
State/ProvinceUS - MI
Work Location - CityTroy
Mid-LevelAutomotive Solutions - Engineering & Product Development
Company OverviewSteel is essential to advancing modern society. In fact, countless aspects of our lives wouldn’t be possible without it. From state-of-the-art household appliances and safer, more fuel-efficient automobiles — to steel framing that makes our homes stronger and tubular products that support the development of our nation’s energy resources — our products build quality of life for people around the world. U. S. Steel is on an exciting transformational journey to become the iconic corporation — a company set apart from the competition through the talent of our people, the quality of our product, and the strength of our performance. We are seeking talented, motivated people to help us create the next generation of U. S. Steel, known for consistently out-performing the competition, delivering superior returns, and creating value for our customers as a world-class supplier of innovative steel products and solutions.
Job DescriptionUnited States Steel Corporation is seeking a Director – Project Management Office (PMO) to support our Automotive Solutions business unit based in Troy, MI. Automotive Solutions is a key supplier to the automotive industry and includes Great Lakes Works (Ecorse, MI), a fully integrated steel mill which manufactures approximately 3 million tons of flat rolled steel per year, and our Midwest Plant (Portage, IN) which produces tin mill products, hot-dip galvanized, and cold-rolled steel.
The Director of PMO will be a member of the Automotive Solutions leadership team, reporting to the Senior Vice President of Automotive Solutions, and will be responsible for the safe launch of all new customer products and all capital projects within the Automotive Solutions business. The Director of PMO will also be responsible for establishing best in class Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) practices consistent with automotive industry expectations. The PMO will be responsible to lead across functional groups to deliver our major capital and new product launches on time, on budget, and at the quality levels and delivery levels our customers require.
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Provide leadership, strategic direction and attainment of performance metrics for the program/project management delivery, resource management, quality management, professional development and knowledge management project management office functions.
• Align the delivery and execution of projects/programs through a balance of best-in-class and pragmatic project methodologies and practices that achieve KPIs and meet or exceed business results, client satisfaction and SLAs.
• Communicate regularly with senior and executive management regarding PMO matters. Provide executive visibility to project and program status, issues, risks, costs, KPI progress and ensure reports emphasize risk mitigation, client satisfaction, trending & predictive analysis and strategic insight.
• Effectively and efficiently lead cross functional teams, ensuring programs are meeting timing, budgetary, and resource allocations.
• Provide clear framework for issue and risk management, with clear escalation procedures.
• Develop annual budget, OPEX, gross profit targets and overall corporate financial metrics in partnership with senior leadership. Lead project management office in the achievement of all financial targets.
• Partner with sales and other cross-functional leaders to understand market & client demand, business strategy and prioritization to lead pipeline management and project execution across the PMO.
Critical Competencies for Success
• Support Safety as our primary core value
• Strategic Planning
• Business Judgment
• Effective Leadership Communication
• Leading High Performance Teams
• Project Management Skills
• Change management
• Continuous Improvement
Education / Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, or related field, or equivalent, relevant experience; Master’s Degree preferred. PMI Certification, Six Sigma, Agile, SCRUM or related certifications preferred.
• Minimum of 8 years experience with track record of increasing Program Management Office responsibilities within manufacturing. Automotive OEM experience preferred.
• Must have experience preparing and delivering briefings and recommendations to senior and executive leadership on a regular basis, with a record of success – i.e. recommendations have been adopted/implemented and achieved the desired outcome(s).
• Excellent service philosophy and experience in managing complex customer requirements across all aspects of cost, schedule, and quality.
• Exceptional predictive planning abilities with proven record of recommending and implementing process and efficiency improvements; demonstrated success in identifying and successfully executing strategic business opportunities.
• Strategic and end-to-end process thinker, with proven experience in leading change within an organization and understands how change affects employees and utilizes strategies to reduce risk to the organization.
• Proven ability to continuously expand and leverage knowledge of market and industry benchmarking and key industry leaders with demonstrated success in identifying, recommending and implementing best practices, methodologies, predictive analytics and industry trends.
• Excellent leadership skills; ability to drive and motivate team to achieve results; ability to influence and inspire action through strong decision-making skills.
• Must possess managerial and leader courage; must be confident managing risks and making decisions that will likely have a large impact on organizational objectives.
• Superior collaboration and communication skills: team building, conflict resolution, stakeholder management, risk management, product management, negotiation & decision making.
• Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Outlook, SharePoint, MS Project, PPM tools, ERP.
Competency Summary- As a senior leader of the company, qualified candidates for this role also must demonstrate the ability to lead change, effective communication, and high-performance teams.
Equal Employment OpportunityU. S. Steel is a principled company committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results & accountability, and focus on cost, quality, and customer. We promote an environment of respect, communication, and collaboration – encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status.
Apply to job Save to cart View similar jobs