Indian Health Service Operating Room Nurse, GS-0610-9/10 in Shiprock, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Shiprock, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 1/28/2016 (265 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (73 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number* IHS-16-NN-1602904-ESEP/MP*; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
The Operating Room Nurse positions are located in the Operating Room Department at Northern Navajo Medical Center, Shiprock, New Mexico. The Perioperative nurse is responsible for the delivery of comprehensive patient care within the preoperative, intraoperative, and post operative periods of patient's experience during operative and other invasive procedure, using the framework of the nursing process. This position reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse.
- Observes and assesses patient's health status and critically ill emergency patients by physical assessment and examination, interviewing patient and family members and patient's health history. Independently assesses and interprets the data patient's condition and recognizes normal/abnormal parameters for appropriate nursing action to be taken.
- Develop, implements and evaluates an individualized plan of care and will coordinate to deliver care to patients undergoing operative procedures.
- Adheres to the Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN) Standards of Care to develop, implement, evaluate and revise an appropriate problem-oriented care plan, problem solving nursing plan for the care of patients in the perioperative setting.
- The Preadmission phase, Day surgery nurse or the Operating Room Nurse focus on preparation of the patient, family, or significant other physically, sociocultural, and spiriitually for the experience. Interviewing and assessment techniques are used for identification of potential or actual problem that may result. Education and interventions are initiated for optimization of positive outcomes.
- Functions independently as the primary circulating nurse for the assigned Operating Room with full competency and understanding of the declared surgical procedures.
- Not Required
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
LICENSURE: Applicants will be required to verify they possess a current, valid, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a Territory of the United States.
1. Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designed State Accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Must provide official Nursing Transcripts.
2. An active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
GS-9: 2 Full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's degree OR 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level.
GS-10: 1 Full year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 level.
EXPERIENCE: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to fill. To be creditable, experience in professional knowledge in nursing principles, practices and procedures providing critical patient care, knowledge of pre-operative, intra-operative and immediate post-operative care, and monitoring and treatment techniques. Knowledge and skill in use of specialized equipment, maintaining sterile and aseptic techniques.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment incentive may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS: http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/
For NHSC: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/
For HRSA Nurse Corps: http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
Promotional Potential: This position has promotion potential to the GS-10 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied,.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Incumbent will work a regularly assigned rotational or call back basis to provide continuity of patient care during evenings, nights, holidays and weekends.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal Service.
- This position is covered under the Indian Child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized Child Care position subject to P.L. 101-630 and P.L. 101-647.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $73,882.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 427925600
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-NN-1608030-DH