Indian Health Service Nursing Assistant, GS-0621-4 (ESEP/MP) in Shiprock, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
3 vacancies in the following location:
- Shiprock, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 10/12/2016 (8 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 10/25/2016 (5 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is located in the Pediatrics (Inpatient Unit) under the Division of Nursing, Branch of Pediatrics. Reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse (Pediatrics).
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The position serves as support staff, responsible for the prioritizing of tasks as assigned under the supervision of licensed professional nursing staff utilizing universal precautions and insuring a safe, clean, and orderly environment conducive to the delivery of quality nursing care. Incumbent performs the following:
- Provides nursing care to assigned patients under the direction of a Registered Nurse in accordance with established unit policy. Provides basic nursing care to patients with a variety of conditions, illnesses, and/or injuries. Responsible for obtaining and recording patient information as assigned per unit policy.
- Shares in the responsibility of maintenance of clinical records and nursing care plans. Adheres to confidentiality policies and the Privacy Act. Responsible for accurate input into unit computer systems such as the Electronic Health Record (EHR). Assists in the arrangement of clinical appointment and discharge/transfer transportation per nursing policy.
- Maintains a courteous and professional manner in contact with patients, families, and other customers. Assists in answering phone and supplying routine information per unit procedure.
- Assists in admitting and discharging patients. Assists in post-mortem care. Transports patients to various hospital departments.
- Assists patients in activities of daily living (ADL). Performs general maintenance duties. Assists with collection and proper care of specimens.
- Performs glucometer testing and records results. Obtains sterile urine specimens. Obtains bacteriologic specimens.
- Sets up for oxygen administration. Performs less complex dressing and treatments without assistance. Assists with cleaning, irrigating, and dressing complex wounds.
- Performs skin care measures. Transcribes physician orders correctly. Prepares transfer and transport packets. Sets up and monitors unit specific equipment.
- Not Required
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
GS-4: 6 months of General Experience AND 6 months of Specialized Experience OR Two years above high school with courses related to the occupation.
General Experience: (1) Any type of work that demonstrates the applicant's ability to perform the work of the position OR (2) experience that provided a familiarity with the subject matter or processes of the broad subject area of the occupation.
Specialized Experience: Qualifying specialized experience includes nonprofessional nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other medical, nursing, or patient care facility, or in such work as that of a home health aid performing duties such:
- Providing personal nursing care such as providing pre- and post-operative care.
- Support duties for diagnostic and technical treatment procedures, such as setting up and operating special medical equipment and apparatus.
- Caring for mentally ill patients, including observing, recording, and reporting changes in their behavior, and providing reassurance and encouragement.
- Assisting surgeons and registered nurses in operating room activities, including passing instruments, maintaining sterile conditions, and draping and positioning patients.
Education and Training: Successful completion of a 2-year degree program in an accredited community college, junior college, or college or university in practical nursing or in a field of study appropriate to the specialization of the position, such as education in a program for a psychology, psychiatric, or operating room technician.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) of the closing date: Tuesday, October 25, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
These positions are covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Travel and relocation expenses is not authorized.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staffing working in the Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- This position is covered under the Indian Child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized position subject to P.L. 101-630 and P.L. 101-647.
- Must be able to work flexible hours based on patient care needs. May be required to work additional hours to maintain patient care.
- Works on regularly assigned rotating shifts to provide continuity of nursing care during evening, nights, weekends, and holidays.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $28,886.00 to $37,551.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0621-04/04
Promotion Potential: 04
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles.
Control Number: 453129700
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-NN-1819813-ESEP/MP