Indian Health Service Nurse/Clinical Nurse (OB)-DH in Shiprock, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Shiprock, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 1/21/2016 (276 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (69 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-NN-1601980-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is located in the Division of Nursing, Branch of Obstetric, Northern Navajo Medical Center, Shiprock, NM. Incumbent at the 5/7 trainee grade level works under the supervision of the Supervisory Clinical Nurse, who makes work assignments, provides continuing guidance and instruction on new assignments and the more complex aspects of the work; routine and/or less complicated duties are performed under general supervision. The incumbent at the GS-9/10 grade level performs a variety of responsible nursing care procedures requiring professional knowledge and consideration of specific patient conditions and treatments and ability to work independently in completing assignments. Position reports directly to Supervisory Clinical Nurse, OB Unit.
- Develop individualized patient care plans or participate in patient care planning;
- Interview patients and family members and consults with attending physicians to evaluate and physical care needed;
- Carry out treatments and emergency or other procedures required; administer medications; observe and document patient's conditions; change and reaction to medication and medical treatment;
- Provide counseling and teaching to patients and families on preventive, curative, rehabilitative measures involved in health care;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Not Required
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Must provide official Nursing transcripts.
Registration: An active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below:
GS-05: Completion of a program less than 30 months' duration* OR Associate Degree *AND one year experience of professional nursing, or of at least GS-4 level practical nurse or nursing assistant experience under the supervision of professional nurse OR Completion of a program at least 30 months' duration or 4 academic years above high school or Bachelor's Degree.
GS-07: Completion of a professional nursing program AND one year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 level* OR* one full year of graduate education or bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement.
GS-09: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's degree OR one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level.
GS-10: Completion of a professional nursing program AND one year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 level.
EVALUATION OF EDUCATION: At the GS-5 level, successfully completed undergraduate course work in nursing, the behavioral, physical, or biological science related to nursing; nutrition, public health; and maternal and child health in excess of that required for completion of an associate degree may be substituted for professional nursing experience at the rate of one academic year for 9 months of experience.
EXPERIENCE: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience is professional knowledge in nursing principles, practices, and procedures providing patient care to high-risk and complicated patients. Knowledge of application and use of fetal monitoring equipment, knowledge of physical assessment, disease processes, and interventions. Knowledge of proper practices and procedures in emergency situations, etc.
Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service, National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency high priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS: http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment For NHSC: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment For HRSA Nurse Corps: http://hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
Promotion Potential: This position has promotion potential to the GS-10 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment incentive up to 15% is authorized.
Appointment Above the minimum may or may not be authorized.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facility.
- Work is performed on a regularly assigned or or rotational basis to provide continuity of patient care during evenings, nights, holidays or weekends.
- This position is covered under the Indian Child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized position subject to P.L. 101-630 and P.L. 101-647.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain nursing licensure requirements. If nursing licensure is not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
IHS - Operated Properties are Tobacco-Free
Salary Range: $48,044.00 to $73,882.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-05/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 427157300
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-NN-1601983-DH