Amazon.com Principal Technical Program Manager, Innovation, Ice Team (Conversion) in Seattle, Washington
Your job will be to drive a program that enables Amazon applications to scale with the exponential growth of the retail business. As a member of the Conversion team, you will have the opportunity to impact and influence a large number of critical services that help Amazon deliver its services to our customers. You will be looked upon as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) to help the teams design scalable solutions that meet their customers’ requirements as they migrate. You will help the teams raise the architecture bar by helping them build their services on architectures that scale to meet Amazon’s needs without compromising on customer experience and trust. The Conversion Team is focused on maintaining Amazon's agility while continuing to hire engineers at an exponential rate. Working with our stakeholders, Consumer Leadership Team (CLT), and customers (development teams that support the Retail Website) we establish goals to optimize technical growth.
Rollingstone is the flag ship program being executed by the Conversion team with support from the Technical Risk Reduction (TRR) group. We are looking for smart and motivated individuals to guide the critical services’ as they migrate and help them execute their migration with minimum hiccups. In addition, you will also be working with our partners in AWS and other platform services to identify, prioritize, and deliver key features that would ease the migration process thereby enabling success in this program.
You will have the sponsorship you need from the Consumer organization’s top leaders to identify architectural improvements in all facets of technology including: modernizing tooling and platforms; benchmarking throughput/dollar of AWS’ latest hardware and services; identifying and driving out large classes of waste; and simplifying complex and inefficient architectures to optimize service performance. Among your team’s legacy will be continuous and automatic diagnostic profiling which will drive continuous improvement across all teams.
You will be engaged in all phases of software development to build services to support our goal. Your systems will drive service and product efficiency opportunities, from idea generation to scoping, to strategy building and ultimately automation for self-monitoring, self-diagnosing and self-healing solutions. As the successful candidate, you will be a rock star technical program manager, be data driven, have the ability to creatively deal with ambiguity, and juggle cross-organization complexity. You will also have the leadership skills to influence your peers to build scalable and cost-effective systems. If you are interested in making a difference, come join our team. We’ve been waiting for you!
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
• Exhibits excellent judgment
• Hires and develops great people
• Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
• Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
• Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
• Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
• Strong results orientation
• Thinks big
• Product development experience (including C++, Java, XML, messaging protocols, and Web Services)
• Experience building processes, project management, and release schedules
• 7+ years of relevant work experience in internet-related program and/or technical product management in a software applications environment
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or a related technical discipline
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Experience communicating with technical and non-technical stakeholders across multiple business units
• Experience with agile or other program management methodologies
• Master’s degree in computer science, engineering or a related technical discipline
• Prior experience as a software developer
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong business and technical vision
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
AMZR Req ID: 465112