Washington State Maintenance Technician 2 - Incident Response Team in Seattle, Washington
These positions are open until filled
WSDOT is currently recruiting for three Maintenance Technician 2 positions to join our Incident Response Team (IRT).
The IRT staff is specially trained to quickly relocate and assist stranded motorists, and are the first line personnel responding to daily emergencies including assisting at collision scenes and removing debris. They partner with the Washington State Patrol and other emergency responders to restore traffic flow as safely and quickly as possible.
Positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Highway Administration. Successful candidates must pass a criminal history check administered by the WA State Patrol.
Possible Work hours, determined by need, for these positions are Monday – Friday, 5am to 1pm or 12noon to 8pm. Weekend hours are 9am to 7:30pm. Positions are based out of our Seattle Corson Avenue facility.
This position will perform the following work:
- Establish and perform traffic control functions; set up signs for lane closures, road closures and detours.
- Learn to independently clear accident scenes.
- Assist disabled vehicles, including changing tires, providing gas, jump starting vehicles, and removing debris weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Safely operate a push truck or tow truck with wheel lift, tow sling, vehicle dollies, and a push bumper to relocate vehicles.
- Perform First Aid/CPR when necessary.
- Prepare reports for each incident.
- Professionally operate a WSP high band and WSDOT 800 MHz radios.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- A Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class "A" License.
- Working knowledge of WSDOT rules, policies, and procedures
- Experience working with the public in a safety manner
- The ability to perform assigned duties safely, reliably, efficiently, and productively alone or as a member of a team under diverse road and weather conditions
- Ability to work in areas of high traffic volume while performing job functions
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to remove debris weighing up to 50 lbs
- Display mechanical aptitude and basic mechanics of the typical automobile or truck
- Ability to participate in 24/7 on call rotation
- Tow Truck experience is desired
- Have the ability to report to the duty station within 60 minutes for emergency response
This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the WFSE, or arrange to pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
Condition of Employment:
The Department of Transportation is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Highway Administration. For more information, please go to: DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the apply button on this announcement. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions. The responses to the Supplemental Questions must be reflected in the "work experience" of the application. Be prepared to provide references at the time of interview.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Fereti Sa'auat 206-440-4068 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org*.* Please reference recruitment number 2016-NWR-159.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email email@example.com.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-NWR-159
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $42,492.00 - $50,496.00 Annually
Location: King County - Seattle - S. Seattle, WA