Washington State DSHS Social Service Specialist 2 in Seattle, Washington
We are seeking a dynamic and motivated Social Service Specialist 2 to join our team at the King North Community Service Office, in Seattle.
As a Social Service Specialist 2 you'll provide professional social services to assist individuals applying for or receiving benefits from the Community Services Division. This includes:
- Interviewing and assessing individuals with possible physical and mental disabilities as well as other barriers to employment
- Obtaining and reviewing complex medical evidence
- Documenting medical and social service information in electronic case records and Social Security web-based application systems; monitoring case progress in both systems
- Acting as an advocate or liaison for clients to treatment services, community partners, Disability Determination Services and Social Security
- Create, implement, monitor and modify case plans for achieving individual economic and social self-support.
- Apply medical diagnostic terminology and categories to assess and determine employability/incapacity. You may provide intensive social services to WorkFirst parents who require extra assistance and support in order to participate in WorkFirst activities such as assessing and determining employability, job readiness, vocational education and training needs. You may assist disabled adults in applying for federal Social Security benefits.
You'll provide case management to individuals with varying degrees of vocational, social, cultural, medical or mental health impairments that hinder economic independence. You'll also work with pregnant and parenting teens and adults and individuals with substance abuse issues. Qualifications
Here's what we're looking for:
Eighteen months as a Social Service Specialist 1
A master's degree in social services, human services, behavioral sciences, or a related field, and one year as a Social Service Specialist 1 or equivalent paid social service experience. A two year master's degree in one of the above fields that included a practicum will be substituted for one year of paid social service experience.
A bachelor's degree in social services, human services, behavioral sciences, or a related field, and two years of paid social service**experience performing functions equivalent to a Social Service Specialist 1.
Employees must successfully complete the formal training course sponsored by their division within one year of their appointment
If you have questions regarding the application process, please contact Lynette Ryder at (360) 829-4956 or by email.
Some jobs may require full criminal background check. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at 360-725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-10438 KS01
Department: Dept. of Social and Health Services
Closing: 10/24/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $3,453.00 - $4,532.00 Monthly
Location: King County - Seattle - N. Seattle, WA