The Walt Disney Company Sr. System Administrator in San Francisco, California
Oversees the installation, maintenance, upgrade and support of server hardware, operating systems/software and associated services as a member of the Lucasfilm IT team.
The Senior Systems Administrator is responsible for developing and maintaining the core services of Lucasfilm and it’s divisions globally, ensuring the smooth and efficient deployment and execution of core services for use by other IT, IS, & Engineering teams and throughout the user base. They will be active in both development projects and service support.
System Administrators implement and maintain hardware, operating system images for Windows and Linux, virtual infrastructure standards, tools and other systems that enable core IT services across the company’s locations globally.
As well as drawing on traditional IT techniques, the team takes advantage of modern DevOps approaches to ensure the availability of IT services that provide the core foundation of IT services that are essential for the smooth operation of our multi-site, award winning film production and visual effects companies.
• Act as a technical lead on key technology projects, ensuring implementations follow best practices and are in line with project objectives.
• Provide internal level 3 support on technologies within IT Operations.
• Drive operational efficiencies of the IT infrastructure to the highest levels, through implementing effective service monitoring, maintenance programs and foundational system design with a global perspective.
• Work closely with other technical groups to ensure that IT standards and technologies are in line with overall technical direction and security posture of Lucasfilm and its companies.
• Maintain documentation and processes around key IT services in the organization.
• Mentor other Systems Administrators to advance their technical knowledge of systems management, automation and DevOps strategies.
• Provide excellent customer service support, including clear verbal and written communications.
• Must be available via mobile phone to participate in team on-call rotations during work and non-work hours.
• Participates in the activities of the globally distributed IT team, including:
development and support activities, regular status and planning meetings as time zones permit.
• Collaborate closely with IT, PE, IS and R&D teams globally.
• Ensures the high availability of configuration management and service deployment systems.
• Troubleshoot and improve implementations of in-house business intelligence frameworks
• Maintain a working knowledge of industry trends and technical advancements.
Preferred Qualifications :
• A clear and concise communicator, written and verbal, with the ability to keep end users informed of progress and managers informed of requests.
• An effective listener: able to engage with and understand others to discover what their requirements are.
• An effective team player with a proven ability to resolve problems professionally and systematically.
• An effective time manager: must be able to prioritize a multitude of requests and not be afraid to ask for help if the path isn’t clear.
• Passionate about delivering rigorous follow-through on assigned tasks.
• An agile, flexible and quick thinker: this is an energetic, dynamic environment requiring an ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements.
• Detailed oriented, highly organized self-starter, able to multi-task without supervision.
• Strong customer service attitude and skills.
Required Technical Skills:
• Detailed understanding of Windows and Linux operating systems, including desktop and server implementations.
• Detailed working knowledge of Microsoft based Enterprise technology, including Active Directory, SCCM, and Group Policy design and management.
• Thorough understanding of system performance issues and tuning
• Deep understanding of IT security concepts, procedures and implementations.
• Proven experience designing, building, automating and running large-scale technical infrastructures in a multi-site, multi-platform environment.
• Knowledge of DNS, DHCP, LDAP, Kerberos, and OAUTH2/SAML2.0 systems.
• Detailed understanding in the following technology products: Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft SCCM, VMWare, Amazon Cloud, Google G-Suite, Google Cloud.
• Strong knowledge of common Linux distributions and Apple OSX operating systems.
• Proven experience in mentoring peers to increase the technical skills and abilities of the team.
• Excellent and thorough documentation skills.
• Experience with Cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform.
• Familiarity with SQL databases, such as Oracle SQL, MS-SQL, PostgreSQL or MySQL.
• Experience creating distributed, scalable systems that are fault tolerant and reliable.
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
• Knowledge of ITIL framework concepts.
• Understanding of different project management methodologies.
• Understanding of storage clusters, fiber channel, NAS and associated storage technologies.
• Understanding of network protocols (TCP/UDP).
• Experience with containerization systems such as Docker.
• Familiarity with the configuration and deployment of cluster management systems such as Mesos or Kubernetes.
• OS deployment techniques such as PXE and kickstart.
Preferred Education :
Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent professional experience.
• 8-10 years of experience as a professional IT administrator, preferably in the visual effects or computer animation industries, building and supporting IT systems in a multi-platform high performance production environment.
Job ID: 479745BR
Location: San Francisco,California
Job Posting Company: The Walt Disney Company (Corporate)