California State University San Bernardino Irrigation Specialist/Facilities Management in San Bernardino, California
Employment Status: Full-time, "non-exempt" Probationary position.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 6:00 am – 2:30 pm, with the possibility of converting to an alternate work schedule.
Deadline: This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning December 12, 2016.
**Current employees will receive preferred consideration.
Overview:** Under the general direction of the Grounds and Automotive Manager, the Irrigation Specialist maintains and repairs grounds irrigation systems including modification of existing systems and the planning, cost estimating, and installation of new systems. The Irrigation Specialist performs specialized work on irrigation systems in grounds areas for a major portion of the incumbent's work time.
Irrigation Specialists typically perform work involving some or all of the following duties:
- Repairs broken sprinkler lines, sprinkler heads, valves, and related equipment;
- Clears blockages from valves and pipes;
- Inspects, services, maintains, and repairs automatic sprinkler control devices;
- Program and schedule Calsense irrigation controllers for events and other irrigation needs;
- Perform minor repairs on sprinkler control devices;
- Establish and maintain sprinkler system preventive maintenance programs;
- Plan irrigation systems, select types of irrigation equipment, estimate costs, and install or modify sprinkler systems;
- Review landscaped areas and coordinate the installation of new sprinkler systems and the modification of existing sprinkler systems, taking into consideration the vegetation, soil conditions, and evaporation and water retention factors;
- Work closely with contractors installing sprinkler systems around new structures to assure proper irrigating capabilities of the system;
- Prepare or revise sketches or plans to show location of pipes, valves, sprinkler heads, and water pressure;
- May order supplies used in the campus irrigation system;
- May from time-to-time provide lead work direction to students, Groundsworkers or individuals in other grounds classifications engaged in routine sprinkler maintenance activities;
- May perform emergency repair work on irrigation systems;
- May on occasion perform Groundsworker duties; and
- May drive pick-ups and other automotive equipment in the performance of assigned duties. Minimum Qualifications
Two years of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas or general grounds, with one year in the maintenance, repair, or modification of irrigation systems and irrigation equipment.
Thorough knowledge of the soil conditions of the various areas of the campus; climate of the area in which the campus is located; and the mechanical principles of sprinkler equipment. General knowledge of the kinds of sprinkler control devices and irrigation equipment available on the market.
Ability to plan, estimate costs, and install or modify irrigation systems for particular sections of the campus; repair and maintain existing irrigation systems; operate equipment, such as small trench-diggers; provide lead work direction to others; and read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
Duties involve the use of a state vehicle which would necessitate possession of a valid California driver's license and the successful completion of the campus Defensive Driving examination.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift, lower, push, and pull loads ranging in weight from 5-60 lbs.; must be able to carry loads ranging from 20-50 lbs. for distances up to 20 feet; must be capable of kneeling, reaching overhead, climbing stairs and ladders, walking, twisting, stooping, and bending; depending upon the project, employee may spend 20-50% of day sitting, 20-50% of day standing, 20-50% of day walking.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter. Visit the Human Resources Conflict of Interest webpage link for additional information: http://hrd.csusb.edu/conflictInterest.html
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096)
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 2016-00929
Department: Administration & Finance
Agency: California State University, San Bernardino
Address: 5500 University Parkway San Bernardino, California, 92407.
Phone: (909) 537-5138
Salary: $35,880.00 - $58,188.00 Annually
Location: San Bernardino, CA