Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Plant Protection and Quarantine Officer (PHSS) in Romulus, Michigan
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
- 1 vacancy - Romulus, MI
- 1 vacancy - North Charleston, SC
Work Schedule is Full-Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 12/1/2016 (6 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 12/7/2016 (0 day(s) away)
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
The incumbent is the primary liaison for the Agency on operational activities, in a specific geographical area, works with state officials, other agencies, industry, colleges and universities and others interested in activities affected by Agency plant quarantine programs. The incumbent performs a variety of specialized duties that provide a comprehensive approach to biosecurity minimizing the risk of biological and economic damage caused by exotic, non-native plant and animal organisms to agriculture, natural resources and U.S. trade initiative involving overall plant health activities. The successful accomplishment of these duties is critical to preventing or reducing potential biological, agricultural, economic and environmental losses. The duties and functions performed by the incumbent are vital to the mission of APHIS, PPQ and its programs to safeguard U.S. agriculture and natural resources. Incumbent position will provide support to identification program activities.
*Salary Information: *First time hires to the Federal government normally start at the lowest rate of the salary range.
APHIS is an emergency response agency. This means that all Agency employees may be asked or assigned to participate in rotating temporary duty assignments to support emergency programs at some time during their careers with APHIS. For details click: APHIS Emergency Response
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity. The duties may include, but are not limited to:**
- Responsible for managing multiple program areas and/or a multi-faceted program such as: post entry quarantine, gypsy moth, biological control, grasshopper/Mormon cricket, Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR), biotechnology, noxious weeds, boll weevil, or other pests for which a program is or will be developed.
- Serves as accredited certifying officials regarding export certification. The work includes interpreting foreign quarantine regulations to facilitate international trade, issuing Federal Phytosanitary Certificates (FPC), ensuring proper maintenance of the fee collection process.
- Provides specialized inspection, regulation and clearance of high risk propagative plant material, plant products and pest diagnostic identification services at plant inspection stations and/or other facilities.
- Plans, conducts, and/or supervises various treatments and remedial measures such as disinfection, sterilization, fumigation, cold treatment, hot water treatment, irradiation of regulated articles for plant and animal pests and diseases.
- Has a broad range or responsibilities under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES), including review of permits, seizure of shipments without proper documents, safeguarding seized or forfeited property, maintenance of accurate files on CITES transactions.
- Occasional Travel
- May be required to travel to remote locations at various facilities and may be required to spend extended periods of time at these locations, usually not more than 30 days.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary period.
- Valid state driver's license is required at the time of application.
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement including the following specialized experience and/or education, as identified by grade level.
BASIC REQUIREMENT: Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
OR Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
FOR THE GS-07 LEVEL:Applicants must have one year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-05 level) that demonstrates:
- Knowledge of pertinent regulations, policies, and procedures of agricultural quarantine principles pertaining to import/export certification.
- Knowledge of pertinent regulations, policies, and procedures of agricultural quarantine principles pertaining to quarantine treatments
- Knowledge of pertinent regulations, policies, and procedures of agricultural quarantine principles pertaining to compliance activities and regulated sites, facilities, and commodities.
- Knowledge of biological and scientific principles, techniques of collection and identification.
OR 1 year of graduate-level education in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines
OR Superior Academic Achievement:To qualify based on superior academic achievement, you must have completed the requirements for a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution AND must meet certain GPA requirements. For more details click: Superior Academic Achievement
FOR THE GS-09 LEVEL:Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level that may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors which demonstrates:
- Experience in applying and interpreting regulations, policies, and procedures of agricultural quarantine principles pertaining to import/export certification.
- Experience in applying and interpreting regulations, policies, and procedures of agricultural quarantine principles pertaining to quarantine treatments
- Experience in applying and interpreting regulations, policies, and procedures of agricultural quarantine principles pertaining to compliance activities and regulated sites, facilities, and commodities.
- Planning and conducting various treatments and remedial measures, such as disinfection, sterilization, fumigation, cold treatment, hot water treatment, irradiation and/or removal/destruction of regulated articles for plant and animal pests and diseases.
OR 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines leading to a masters degree or masters or equivalent graduate degree
Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for this grade level.
FOR THE GS-11 LEVEL:Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level that may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors which demonstrates:
- Independently planning, coordinating and executing containment facility inspections
- Independently planning, coordinating and Phytosanitary certificates
- Independently planning, coordinating and regulating plant/plant product shipments for import/export
- Preparing and making formal presentations to internal and external audiences
- Planning, coordinating, and conducting all aspects of operational activities, including special programs, newly emerging programs or operational functions with cooperators, other government entities, industries, etc
OR 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for this grade level.
TRANSCRIPTS are required:
- This position requires specific coursework or a degree in a specific field to be basically qualified.
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on Superior Academic Achievement.
- This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-7/9/11 GRADE LEVEL: Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Professional and Scientific Positions
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Successful completion of a one-year probationary or trial period (if new hire to the Federal service).
- This position is designated a public trust position and is subject to satisfactory completion and favorable adjudication of initial background investigation and reinvestigation as a condition of employment.
- Position may be eligible for telework.
- Locality pay will vary based upon the selectee’s duty location. A final salary determination will be made upon selection.
- Field visits may require physical exertion such as walking over rough or rocky terrain or climbing ladders on rail cars or grain elevators.
- Work may involve driving long distances, occasionally in poor driving conditions.
- Loading, unloading and carrying moderately heavy materials is sometimes necessary.
- Operation of such equipment as ATV’s application equipment may be needed.
- Employees may experience discomfort due to adverse weather conditions, high noise levels, pesticides and working around agricultural or industrial equipment.
- Must also be to travel on a routine basis and be willing to work at odd times, including overtime, weekends, holidays and shifts.
- may be required to maintain certification for the wearing of personal protective equipment, including respirators such as Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and maintain a valid pesticide certification.
- There are regular and recurring risks associated with working around and with chemicals.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
If you set up your USAJOBS account to send automatic email notifications, you will receive an email acknowledging: 1) the submission of your online Occupational Questionnaire and resume was successful, 2) if you were referred to the selecting official for consideration, and 3) if you were selected or not selected. If you choose not to set up automatic email notifications, you must check your USAJOBS account for the latest status of your application. Your application may be reviewed to verify that you meet the qualifications and eligibility requirements for the position prior to issuing lists to a selecting official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted. We expect to make a final job offer within 40 days after the closing date of the announcement.
The Federal Service offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the benefits offered to most Federal employees at: https://www.usa.gov/benefits-for-federal-employees
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, provide proof of eligibility to include your most recent performance appraisal, SF-50 showing the full performance level or career ladder of your current or previous position, and proof of eligibility such as a RIF separation notice or letter from OPM/your agency. CTAP/ICTAP eligibles will be considered well-qualified if achieving a rating of 85 or above. Information about CTAP/ICTAP eligibility is at: OPMs Career Transition Resources website.
- More than one selection may be made if another vacancy occurs within 90 days of the issuance of the certification of eligibles.
- Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc) should contact: USDAs TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
- Direct Deposit – Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of your choosing.
- E-Verify: Federal law requires agencies to use the E-Verify system to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. If you are selected as a newly hired employee, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS E-VERIFY system. Under the system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
- It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. See more information at: http://www.chcoc.gov/transmittals/TransmittalDetails.aspx?TransmittalID=6465
Salary Range: $40,033.00 to $83,788.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0401-07/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Control Number: 457787200
Job Announcement Number: 24PQ-APHIS-MA-2017-0145