University of Rochester Purchasing Mgr in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 Purchasing
8 AM-5 PM
Purchasing Manager is directly responsible for timely and cost effective purchases for the University community. Independently bid, negotiate, create and administer contracts for assigned commodity team in accordance with University policies and Federal procurement regulations. Evaluate departmental requests, research marketplace, conduct competitive bidding, qualify suppliers, analyze results and negotiate the business transaction (price, delivery, contract terms and conditions). Perform financial value and/or lease versus buy analysis as required. Commit University authorized funds and monitor supplier performance. Support Corporate Purchasing key business plan objectives. Participate in Purchasing subcommittee, focus group, outreach, training, value analysis and management team activities. Co-supervise support staff for specified commodity team.
Under general direction with latitude for independent judgment and in accordance with established departmental policy:
- Review/authorize routine purchase orders and contracts for regular, standing, blanket orders and leases.Assure proper authorization, account numbers, price, product/service description, delivery instructions/schedule, supplier qualification, terms and conditions. Full decision-making and negotiating discretion within theSignatory Authority Policy of Contracts and PO’s up for the term.
- Solicit competitive bids/request for quotations in accordance with University policies and Federal procurement regulations.Research products and prices; identify qualified suppliers; obtain technical and/or performance specifications; perform financial and value analysis; negotiate contracts; monitor supplier performance.Organize and chair bid committees for responsible commodities.
- Establish and maintain both customer and supplier “partnerships” that help identify opportunities for cost and process improvements. Conduct “outreach” presentations to promote the services of Purchasing to the University community.Assist and instruct users about purchasing policies and procedures. Provide customer service.
- Support Purchasing & University goals through participation in Purchasing leadership activities includingsubcommittees, focus group, outreach, training, value analysis and management team.
- Conduct accurate & timely reporting of savings against goals.
- Co-supervises support staff for commodity team.
- Promote small and diverse business relationships and comply with University goals and Federal Requirements.
- Serve on University and community committees and participate in professional associations as appropriate; may represent the University in user groups, trade fairs, buying consortia.
- Stay current on new purchasing methods, sources of supply, products, etc.; visit supplier facilities to learn of capabilities; serve customers as a consultant on products and sources of supply.
- Support department goal to reduce supplier base; negotiate contracts in a corporate perspective whenever possible and appropriate.
Bachelor's degree, preferably in Business Administration; and 3-5 years relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. C.P.M. a plus. Strong communication skills required.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Purchasing Mgr
Location: Central Administration
Job ID: 201026
Full/Part Time: Full-Time