HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Clinical Pharmacy Specialist II – Critical Care in Richmond, Virginia
The Critical Care Clinical Specialist is an experienced practitioner with advance clinical skills; he or she provides direct patient-specific pharmacotherapy and clinical services to the hospital patients following current, evidence-based guidelines and in conformity of applicable medication management standards. The Critical Care Specialist is the resource for adult critical care services and provides education to nurses, physicians, pharmacists, residents, and students.
Henrico Doctors’ Hospital is a 340-bed community hospital with the latest in advanced technology, a combination that enables us to deliver exceptional results. As part of our full range of healthcare services, we specialize in heart and stroke care, pediatrics including pediatric intensive care, oncology, diagnostic imaging, and women's health—including high-risk pregnancies, maternity and neonatal intensive care. We also have extensive adult critical care services in cardiac surgery, general medical and surgical intensive care, and Level II trauma surgery designation. We're also a national trendsetter in kidney transplants—through the Virginia Transplant Center—and we lead the state in minimally invasive procedures, having performed more da Vinci® robotic-assisted surgeries than any other facility in Virginia.
We provide a broad range of clinical services and utilize innovative technologies in drug distribution, clinical documentation, pharmacy automation, and inventory control. Specialized pharmacy services are provided in the areas of kidney transplant; adult, pediatric, and neonatal intensive care; pediatrics; internal medicine; surgical services; infectious disease/antimicrobial management; oncology; outpatient infusion, two free standing emergency centers and an ambulatory surgery center. In addition, we provide ambulatory care clinical services in our pharmacist-managed Coumadin Clinic and outpatient kidney transplant clinic. We have an ASHP-Accredited PGY1 residency and precept students from area pharmacy schools.
As with all HCA Virginia hospitals, Henrico Doctors’ Hospital is a Joint Commission Certified Primary Stroke Care Center and an accredited Chest Pain Center by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care. We are also accredited by the American College of Surgeons (ACoS) as a Comprehensive Community Cancer Center and recipient of the ACoS Outstanding Achievement Award.
Above all else, the team working together at Henrico Doctors' Hospital is committed to the care and improvement of human life. For an inspiring and challenging career where you can make a significant difference in people's lives, join our diverse community of experienced healthcare experts.
- Provides a minimum of two in-services per year on rational medication therapy and medication procedures effectively to health care professionals and patients.
- Actively participates in the provision of training and mentorship within peer group and cross campus pharmacists in adult critical care including pharmaceutical care and disease state management.
- Works closely with critical care multidisciplinary team and provides backup support to service lines where appropriate and as assigned.
- Participates as an active committee member within critical care service line (e.g. Critical Care Committee, Sepsis Committee, Cardiac Surgery Committee, and Trauma Surgery Committee).
- Serves as primary preceptor for pharmacy students and residents in adult critical care service line and fulfills all documentation responsibilities.
- Communicates effectively with healthcare professionals, patients and family members where appropriate.
- Actively participates as a member of the local, state, and national pharmacy societies.
- Creates national visibility by presenting clinical information/programs such as poster presentations or managed case studies or publishing in nationally recognized journals.
- Monitors drug therapy regimens for contraindications, drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, allergies, disease state appropriateness relative to drug and dose.
- Actively participates across the campus structure aiding in recommendations for appropriate, cost-effective therapeutic medication alternatives to medical staff and peers.
- Provides accurate and timely medication information as needed to all healthcare professionals.
- Takes a lead role in working within clinical initiatives, improving patient safety and medication use.
- Facilitates or assists in the medication utilization evaluation process for a particular service.
- Documents all clinical activities and interventions accurately and completely.
- Supports and participates in the goals of the organization’s quality improvement, risk management, and patient safety programs to include, but limited to, National Patient Safety Goals, Core Measures, regulatory compliance and HCAHPS medication-related initiatives.
- Prioritizes work and assists in implementation of clinical process changes and others as assigned.
- Performs drug class reviews and prepares drug monographs for committee submission and review.
- Participates in all aspects of managing the drug formulary.
- Participates in additional department functions to support the operations of the pharmacy department.
- Performs medication use evaluations and implements recommendations as appropriate.
- Assists in development of policies or protocols within the adult critical care service line.
BS or PharmD from an ACPE accredited School of Pharmacy and a current pharmacist license in good standing with the Virginia Board of Pharmacy Completion of all hospitalspecific competencies for Clinical pharmacist 1 Doctor of Pharmacy from an ACPE accredited collegeof pharmacy is preferred Minimum 1 year hospitalpharmacy experience AND one of the following: + At least 2 yearsof hospital pharmacyexperience + Completion of 1 year ( PGY l or general practice)-residency/fellowship + BCPS Effective communication skills including written and verbal. Experience using computer applications including word processing, spreadsheet software and pharmacy information systems.
Title: Clinical Pharmacy Specialist II – Critical Care
Location: Virginia-Richmond-Henrico Doctors Hospital Forest
Requisition ID: 00448-32965