Indian Health Service Custodial Worker in Rapid City, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
3 vacancies in the following location:
- Rapid City, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Thursday 10/13/2016 (13 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 10/27/2016 (1 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. This position is the Custodial Worker at the Rapid City Indian Health Service in Rapid City, South Dakota. The incumbent reports to the Custodial Worker Supervisor. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Cleans patients units including "isolation" areas which require application of specific disinfecting procedures.
- Ensures that high standards of cleanliness are maintained and reports any situations requiring repair and/or maintenance to supervisor.
- Collects and prepares soiled linen for laundry pickup; receives and shelves clean linen; collects and disposes of trash and refuse within the installation.
- Performs housekeeping functions such as scrubbing, stripping, waxing, polishing floors, dusting, washing walls and windows, vacuum rugs, and cleans items in the patients unit/rooms, offices and storage areas.
- As required, assists in patient care (e.g., moving beds, moving patient from bed to stretcher, etc.).
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- ### Qualifications
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Elements that must be met:
A. Work Practices B. Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. C. Dexterity and Safety D. Attention to Detail
To qualify for this position you must meet the screen-out element listed below: Ability to do the work of a Custodial Worker without more than normal supervision: experience and performance which shows the ability to work independently, make decisions, plan work, show job responsibility, exhibit independence, exercise initiative, etc.as a Custodial Worker.
An appointment to this position is restricted by law (5 U.S.C. 3310) to veterans who are preference eligible as long as such applicants are available. Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Thursday, October 27, 2016
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This is a bargaining unit position.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
No promotion potential. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Government housing is not available.
- Position subject to alternative work schedule, rotating shifts and nights/weekends/holidays.
- Position is covered by PL 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $12.04 to $14.04 / Per Hour
Series & Grade: WG-3566-02/02
Promotion Potential: 02
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); Federal employees serving on a career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appoint; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 453313500
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-GP-1824876-ESEP/MP