Indian Health Service Clinical Nurse (Urgent Care) - Open Cont. in Rapid City, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Rapid City, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Thursday 6/23/2016 (245 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 6/22/2017 (119 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. This position is the Clinical Nurse in the Emergency Department of the Rapid City Indian Health Service, Rapid City, South Dakota. The incumbent reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse in the ER Department. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This position is being announced concurrently under Direct Hire Authority procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-GP-1736277-DHA for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
- Provides professional nursing care within the Urgent Care Department.
- Assesses all patients for urgent care and triage patients.
- Maintains accurate and continued nursing documentation including patient histories, conditions, treatments, responses and assessment of changes,
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, performance improvement program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Demonstrates the ability to assist physicians with procedures in the Urgent Care Department.
- Initiates treatments, medications, emergency and resuscitative measures based on standing orders.
- Operates and monitors specialized equipment.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- A Current Unrestricted Professional License is required (Submit Copy).
- Position subject to Level V Background clearance including credit check.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): 1. Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Must provide official Nursing transcripts.
- Licensure: An active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
GS-09: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 grade level; OR Master's or equivalent degree; OR two (2) full years of progressively higher level graduate education; SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-09: For GS-9 grade level, you MUST have one (1) year of experience (equivalent to the GS-7 grade level) that included duties such as: given assignments, which concentrate on precedence situations, and assistance will be provided to the incumbent in work planning and selection of priorities; During this time period, the incumbent will have closer supervision than that described in the targeted position; Because the position is below the full-performance level, the incumbent will be expected to gradually assume more complex assignments and to work with greater independence until the level of performance described in the target position is achieved. Works under the general supervision of the Nursing Supervisor. Performs primary functions of a registered nurse in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the care of all assigned patients with medical, surgical, pediatric, ambulatory and emergency conditions in the Urgent Care Department. Assesses patient care needs on the unit and adjusts staff assignments appropriately, consulting with the unit supervisor. Provide the full range of nursing care services to patients at all times. Instructs in revised policies, procedures, practices and in new developments in methods and techniques.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Thursday, June 22, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/ For HRSA Nurse Corps - http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Government housing is not available.
- Position is covered by PL 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position.
- Position subject to alternative work schedule, rotating shifts and nights/weekends/holidays.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $69,936.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 442738400
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1735704-ESEP/MP