Indian Health Service Clinical Nurse (Urgent Care) - DHA (Open Cont.) in Rapid City, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Rapid City, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 6/23/2016 (243 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 6/22/2017 (121 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-GP-1735704-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered for each announcement.
This position is the Clinical Nurse in the Emergency Department of the Rapid City Indian Health Service, Rapid City, South Dakota. The incumbent reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse in the ER Department.
DIRECT HIRE AUTHORITY JOB OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT: These positions are eligible to be filled through Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hire Authority [DHA]. The Direct Hire Authority has been authorized by the Homeland Security Act of 2002 and Part 337, Subpart B, Title 5 of the Code of Federal Regulations [5 CFR]. If filled utilizing DHA, the following is applicable: all applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for consideration. The "rule of three," Veteran's preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to the Direct Hire process. Indian Preference does apply.
- Provides professional nursing care within the Urgent Care Department.
- Assesses all patients for urgent care and triage patients.
- Maintains accurate and continued nursing documentation including patient histories, conditions, treatments, responses and assessment of changes,
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, performance improvement program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Demonstrates the ability to assist physicians with procedures in the Urgent Care Department.
- Initiates treatments, medications, emergency and resuscitative measures based on standing orders.
- Operates and monitors specialized equipment.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- A Current Unrestricted Professional License is required (Submit Copy)
- Position subject to Level V Background clearance including credit check.
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
You must meet all of the BASIC REQUIREMENTS listed below:
Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Must provide official Nursing transcripts.
Licensure: An active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following types of tasks:
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
GS-09: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 grade level; OR Master's or equivalent degree; OR two (2) full years of progressively higher level graduate education; SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-09: For GS-9 grade level, you MUST have one (1) year of experience (equivalent to the GS-7 grade level) that included duties such as: given assignments, which concentrate on precedence situations, and assistance will be provided to the incumbent in work planning and selection of priorities; During this time period, the incumbent will have closer supervision than that described in the targeted position; Because the position is below the full-performance level, the incumbent will be expected to gradually assume more complex assignments and to work with greater independence until the level of performance described in the target position is achieved. Works under the general supervision of the Nurse Supervisor. Performs primary functions of a registered nurse in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the care of all assigned patients with medical, surgical, pediatric, ambulatory and emergency conditions in the Urgent Care Department. Assesses patient care needs on the unit and adjusts staff assignments appropriately, consulting with the unit supervisor. Provide the full range of nursing care services to patients at all times. Instructs in revised policies, procedures, practices and in new developments in methods and techniques.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Thursday, June 22, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement. (Supervisory positions only)
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/ For HRSA Nurse Corps - http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Government housing is not available.
- Position is covered by PL 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position.
- Position subject to alternative work schedule, rotating shifts and nights/weekends/holidays.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $69,936.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-04/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: ANY QUALIFIED US CITIZEN MAY APPLY
Control Number: 442740100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1736277-DHA